Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems
Discipline: Business IT
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 245 (2016)
An understanding of information systems is vital to anyone who wants to work in, or manage a business. This three-year course prepares you to become a skilled knowledge worker and information systems specialist for tomorrow’s dynamic and global businesses.
A major knowledge gap exists between managers in organisations, who need to run the business but are confused by the Information Technology Systems, and the 'techies' who deliver working IT solutions but are not addressing the business needs. This programme aims to develop your understanding of the interaction between IT systems and business to prepare you for graduate positions in business operations and IT projects.
This course which is offered both as a four year Level 8 course and a 3 year Level 7 course is highly practical, combining Business and IT. Graduates of the 3 year Level 7 degree may progress to the fourth year of the Level 8 degree to achieve an honours degree, if they wish. A key strength of this programme is its focus on Emerging Technologies including Cloud Computing and the management of big data.
Year 1 - Semester 1
Year 1 - Semester 2
Year 2 - Semster 3
Year 2 - Semster 4
Year 3 - Semester 5
New Venture Creation or Language & Culture 3 (French, German, Spanish or Gaelige)
Year 3 - Semester 6
New Venture Planning or Language 3 (French, German, Spanish or Gaeilge)
This qualification will enable graduates to gain employment in diverse roles within Business and IT areas to include but is not limited to:
- IT / IS Business Analysts
- Data Analysts
- Systems Analysts
- Web Developers
- Applications support and testing
In the past, students from our Information Systems degree have gained employment with companies such as Hewlett Packard, SAP, Siemens, and Fidelity Ireland.
- Focus on Employability Skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, analysis and problem solving.
- Opportunity to Study Languages and to Study Abroad in France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands or the USA.
- The First Year Experience includes a module which provides the academic skills needed to succeed in college, and peer-led study skills sessions.
- The Next Step module prepares graduates for a getting a job and commencing a career in Business Information systems.
- Option of Exit Award after 2 years at Higher Certificate level.
- Teaching Council Requirements Met if Complete Level 8 This programme meets the requirements for entry onto a programme of initial teacher education (post-primary) for Business and Information & Communications Technology/Computer Studies depending on electives chosen.
- You can find more indepth detail of this course, and all our other courses, at GMIT School of Businees by downloading a copy of our online brochure.