Higher Certificate in Business with Administration and ICT Skills (Mayo)
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: Two years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 190 (2015)
What do we offer?
The Higher Certificate in Business with Administration and ICT skills imparts an understanding of modern IT in an organisational context and a high level of competency in the use of business applications software. This programme combines the development of IT skills with a critical business awareness that emphasises interpersonal and communication techniques.
What you will learn?
You will learn how various elements of Information and Communications Technology (I.C.T) such as the integration of telecommunications, computers, software applications and storage will enable business users in an administrative environment to access, store, transmit, and manipulate information. This programme will also show you how information technology complements both the practical and functional areas of business and management.
You will gain knowledge and skills in a number of areas including:
• the core business functions (i.e. Marketing, Finance, Economics and Law) and how they are applied in the operation of a business;
• the stock market and the management of finances;
• ICT skills – creation of websites, development of databases and business applications; • personal communication skills, development of self-confidence, teamwork and presentation skills; and
• a foreign language.
Programme modules may include the following:
• Introduction to Statistics;
• PC Applications;
• Information Technology 1;
• Information Technology 2
• Introduction to Accounting;
• Business Mathematics;
• Professional Development Skills;
• Business Accounting Software Applications
• Social & Organisational Psychology
• Introduction to Marketing;
• Web Design;
• Introduction to Law;
• Advanced PC Applications; and
• Introduction to Databases.
Some of the elective modules may be chosen from the following list:
• EU Matters;
• Exploring Values;
• Intercultural Studies;
• EU Policy;
• Business Programming 1
• Personal Finance;
• Financial Accounting 1,
• Management Accounting1
• Business Programming 2,
• Financial Investment
• Management Accounting 2;
• Financial Accounting 2
• Quality Management,
• Sales Management;
• and Language and Culture 1 & 2
There is a variety of teaching and assessment methodologies used in the delivery of the programme, including case studies, group work, lab sessions, field trips, lectures and continuous assessment.
Graduates will be capable of undertaking a wide range of administrative functions in modern technology-based organisations such as those in the financial, commercial, voluntary and public sectors.
Successful students may progress to degree (Level 7) programmes at GMIT. These include the Bachelor of Business and the Bachelor of Arts in Accounting & Financial Management programmes (subject to taking certain accounting modules).
Students may also progress to suitable programmes at other institutes.
Email: Declan Hoban