Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology invites you to join us in this special programme of events as part of Ireland 2016, the official state programme to mark the centenary anniversary of the 1916 Rising.
Our multifaceted programme of over 50 events extends to all of our campuses, to local communities and beyond.
Among the range of activities taking place are the following:
- commemorative ceremonies
- cultural activities
- musical performances
- a concert
- a tribute dinner
- an inter-faith service
- a GAA match
- book and booklet launches
- a pop-up bookshop and cinemobile
- a design and creative arts competition (CLICK HERE for details)
- awards of bursaries and scholarships
- outreach activities
- an active learning seminar
- a seven-week public lecture series to celebrate the provision of 21 years of heritage studies education at GMIT
We look forward to welcoming you as the institute embarks on a journey of remembrance, reflection and reimagination.
"Remembering Galway 1916" Short Film Series
As part of the 1916 Centenary Programme for the County of Galway, a series of eight short films on ‘Remembering Galway 1916’ were produced by Galway Film Centre, and can be viewed below.
They were developed as part of a Galway County Council and Heritage Council production, in association with GMIT.
Dr Mark McCarthy
Lecturer & Programme Chair in Heritage Studies
1916–2016 Centenary Programme Coordinator
Tel: +353 (0)91 742411
Email: Mark McCarthy