Why study at GMIT Letterfrack?
- Our students attain and develop exceptional skills in areas of craft and advanced manufacturing technology.
State of the art facilities and equipment
- Our machine halls and bench rooms are fully equipped and include CNC and laser technology, as well as robotics.
- Our laboratories and workrooms are designed as highly efficient environments.
- We have two fully equipped computer laboratoriesand WiFi throughout the campus.
Work Placements and internships
- We have links to major furniture design and manufacturing companies around the globe.
- Our students can avail of opportunities to work with leaders in furniture design and manufacturing.
Award winning students
- We are a campus of 250 students yet we frequently top awards lists nationally and internationally.
- GMIT Letterfrack students have won Design and Craft Awards, National Skills Awards, Undergraduate Awards and Wood Marketing Awards.
Award winning lecturers
- We have a friendly team of staff committed to standards of excellence. Three of our lecturers have won the GMIT President’s Award for Teaching Excellence in the past seven years.
- Others include published authors, researchers and experts in the field of furniture design and technology.
- GMIT Letterfrack has a number of links with colleges in Europe and the USA.
- Students can avail of opportunities to study overseas as part of their degree.
Clubs, societies and sport
- GMIT Letterfrack has various sporting clubs with great facilities nearby for soccer and GAA.
- We have achieved national success with our GAA teams, having won all-Ireland Division 3 titles in hurling and football.
- Students may join the design society which is involved in curating exhibitions and promotion of students work.
- Students may also join the wood turning society, which is long established and is currently aiming to become a chapter of the Wood Turning Guild.
- The campus is located in the stunning Connemara National Park, near Killary Fjord and Kylemore Abbey; it is an hour’s drive away from Galway city and Westport.
- Students may enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, hill walking and rock climbing. Letterfrack village and its surrounds provide ample accommodation for students.
- Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
To capture the unique beauty of Connemara that surrounds GMIT Letterfrack, browse the videos below - enjoy!