The Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering offers programmes in:
- Manufacturing Engineering (Level 6/7)
- Engineering (Common Entry to Manufacturing/Biomedical/Agricultural/Mechanical/Energy)
GMIT Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
In recent years, we have invested over half a million euros in a range of dedicated laboratories in advanced automation, CNC machining, product dissection, energy technologies, and rapid prototyping,
We are committed to getting to know each student on a one-to-one basis, and have developed courses that have a high practical content, industrial relevance, and an excellent employment track record. We do our best to help ease students into third level education, and have developed a suite of innovative first year initiatives, such as:
- Orientation Week where students get to know each other and department staff, in an informal and enjoyable environment.
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) where successful 2nd year students are timetabled to guide and support 1st year students to settle in and overcome any academic concerns.
- Dissection Lab practicals which facilitate hands-on disassembly of engineering products to build knowledge on how mechanical, electrical, and energy systems work
- The Maths Learning Centre which offers free maths tuition to GMIT students.
Similar student centred initiatives are employed in later years of study, based on the principles of delivering course content via practical hands-on problems, in small tutorial and lab groups. The Department offers final year specialisations on its Honours degree programmes, and currently provides options in Biomedical, Energy and Product Design.
We pride ourselves on imparting practical knowledge and skills, which continues to translate into a high demand for graduates. Furthermore, all courses in mechanical and Industrial Engineering have:
- Industry work placement
- Engineers Ireland accreditation
Leveraging strong industry links, we host two of GMIT’s three research centres, namely the Galway Medical Technology Centre (GMedTech) and the Centre for Integrated Sustainable Energy Technologies (CiSET). Undergraduates can benefit from exposure to these research environments and the opportunity to conduct exciting, industry relevant, final year projects. Each year, a number of graduates from the Department’s Level 8 programmes join these research centres to complete Masters and PhD degrees.
Head of Department
Phone: +353 91 742106
eMail: Patrick Delassus
School of Engineering Admin Office
Phone: +353 (0) 91 74 2201
eMail: Jacinta Hennelly
Phone: +353 (0) 91 74 2251
eMail: Marian Hynes