GMIT Letterfrack is a National Centre of Excellence providing honours degrees in furniture design, wood technology and teacher training for technological subjects up to Leaving Certificate.
Established in 1987, the college now has 250 full-time students studying on a range of degree programmes. Our courses are characterised by:
- A student-centred approach with an emphasis on project-based learning
- A common first year which enables students to develop all necessary skills required for designing and producing fine furniture. Students then specialise in design, technology or education in year two.
- Work placements in the Irish furniture and wood products industry, and in manufacturing companies throughout the world
- Student school placements in post-primary schools throughout Ireland as part of the teacher training programme.
- Academic links with colleges in Europe and the USA
GMIT Letterfrack students and graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects, and have won awards both nationally and internationally.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
GMIT is pleased to announce the winner of this year's GMIT President's Award for Teaching Excellence is Dr Pauline Logue Collins, a lecturer in Education, Religious Studies & Ethics.
A number of graduates of the Medical Science course in GMIT returned to the Galway campus last week (7 November) to share their career experiences with current students on the BSc (Hons) degree programme.