GMIT Letterfrack is a National Centre of Excellence providing honours degrees in furniture design, wood technology and teacher training for technological subjects up to Leaving Certificate.
Established in 1987, the college now has 250 full-time students studying on a range of degree programmes. Our courses are characterised by:
- A student-centred approach with an emphasis on project-based learning
- A common first year which enables students to develop all necessary skills required for designing and producing fine furniture. Students then specialise in design, technology or education in year two.
- Work placements in the Irish furniture and wood products industry, and in manufacturing companies throughout the world
- Student school placements in post-primary schools throughout Ireland as part of the teacher training programme.
- Academic links with colleges in Europe and the USA
GMIT Letterfrack students and graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects, and have won awards both nationally and internationally.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
Large crowds of second level pupils and careers teachers from schools in Mayo and surrounding counties are expected to attend GMIT Mayo’s Open Day next month, Friday 14 November (10am-1pm).
GMIT Letterfrack has been awarded an international Green Campus Flag by An Taisce. The Mayor of County Galway, Cllr Mary Hoade, officially raised the flag at a ceremony on campus yesterday (Tuesday 21 October) attended by students, staff and special guests.