GMIT Letterfrack is a National Centre of Excellence providing honours degrees in furniture design, wood technology and teacher training for technological subjects up to Leaving Certificate.
Established in 1987, the college now has 250 full-time students studying on a range of degree programmes. Our courses are characterised by:
- A student-centred approach with an emphasis on project-based learning
- A common first year which enables students to develop all necessary skills required for designing and producing fine furniture. Students then specialise in design, technology or education in year two.
- Work placements in the Irish furniture and wood products industry, and in manufacturing companies throughout the world
- Student school placements in post-primary schools throughout Ireland as part of the teacher training programme.
- Academic links with colleges in Europe and the USA
GMIT Letterfrack students and graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects, and have won awards both nationally and internationally.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
Staff and students in GMIT Letterfrack were delighted to receive a visit today from the President of Ireland Michael D Higgins and Sabina Higgins. The first couple visited the Furniture Gallery and machine halls on campus, and the President delivered a speech to students and staff.
Secondary school students attending GMIT’s two Open Days on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 October next will be presented with opportunities to attend a variety of workshops reflecting particular disciplines of study in GMIT’s two Galway city campuses.