GMIT Letterfrack is a National Centre of Excellence providing honours degrees in furniture design, wood technology and teacher training for technological subjects up to Leaving Certificate.
Established in 1987, the college now has 250 full-time students studying on a range of degree programmes. Our courses are characterised by:
- A student-centred approach with an emphasis on project-based learning
- A common first year which enables students to develop all necessary skills required for designing and producing fine furniture. Students then specialise in design, technology or education in year two.
- Work placements in the Irish furniture and wood products industry, and in manufacturing companies throughout the world
- Student school placements in post-primary schools throughout Ireland as part of the teacher training programme.
- Academic links with colleges in Europe and the USA
GMIT Letterfrack students and graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects, and have won awards both nationally and internationally.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
Culinary students from Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) scooped a range of top awards at this year’s IFEX Culinary Competition in Belfast, with Co Clare student Patrick Phillips winning ‘Student Culinarian of the Year’ for his three-course meal.
GMIT students are winning top prizes in software development competitions across the country, claiming first place in the regional Code Ninja student app competition, ‘Best Gameplay Award’ in the national Games Ireland Challenge, and second in Microsoft’s international Imagine Cup.