Bachelor of Arts in Outdoor Education and Leisure
Discipline: Outdoor Education
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 150 (2016)
This programme combines an exciting mix of academic study and skills training in adventure sports. You will build an understanding of the developmental and educational role of outdoor education and you will study the Irish landscape, safety, communications and teaching. In addition you will gain an extensive range of National Governing Body awards in adventure sports such as rock climbing, surfing, hill walking, sailing, snorkelling, caving and kayaking. One day a week is spent on adventure sports practicals in venues including Achill, Connemara and numerous surf beaches in Mayo. There are also many optional weekend practical courses and trips to Spain and Wales which provide opportunities for further training in adventure sports.
These focus on four main strands:
- Adventure Sports and Work Experience
- The Natural and Cultural Landscape, Environmental Science, Geology and Ecology
- Psychology and Teaching/Facilitation skills
- Health and Fitness, First Aid and Water Safety
In addition, the students may choose one elective area from the following four areas:
- Social Geography and Rural Development
- Business Management and Marketing
- Languages (choice of 4 languages)
- Social Care
Graduates find employment in the following areas:
- As instructors and managers in adventure and outdoor education centres.
- As development officers and managers in educational, youth, rural recreation and community organizations.
- Adventure tourism operators.
- Adventure Sports Coaches
- Environmental education providers.
Students can progress to the BA (Honours) in Outdoor Education.
Students need to be able to swim 50m in order to take part in the watersports activities. All technical and essential safety equipment will be supplied, but students are expected to supply some of their own personal clothing such as raingear and walking boots. A full list is available.
Phone: +353 (0)94 904 3159