Dr Michael Hannon
Dr Michael Hannon is the Vice President for Academic Affairs & Registrar in GMIT.
He held the role of Acting President of GMIT from June 2019 to March 2020. Prior to this he was deputising for the President from July 2018 to May 2019.
Michael held the role of Vice President for Academic Affairs & Registrar in GMIT from September, 2010 to May 2019. Prior to this, he was Assistant Registrar at GMIT (2006-2010); Head of Department at the GMIT Letterfrack campus (2004-2006); lecturer (1998-2004) and post-primary teacher (1986-1998).
Nationally he is a member of:
- Connacht Ulster Alliance (CUA) Steering Committee (from 2012)
- Technological University Research Network (TURN) Steering Committee 2019
- Technological Higher Education Apprenticeship Committee (THEAC): Inaugural Chair from 2018
- Institutes of Technology Apprenticeship Committee (ITAC): Chair from 2017
- West North-West Higher Education Cluster Steering Committee
- West Action Plan for Jobs Steering Committee
- IBEC West Regional Economic Committee
- GRETB FET Board member
- EAIR:- The European Higher Education Society: Linking research, policy and practice
- Board member of the Central Applications Office (CAO)
On the European stage he contributed to an EU Benchmarking Project on Higher Education with a particular focus on curriculum reform across eleven countries. He served as a National Bologna Expert (2010-2014).
Michael has widespread leadership and quality assurance experience both inside and outside the organisation, externally with HETAC (now QQI), the Teaching Council, the NCCA and the State Examinations Commission.
His education philosophy places the student at the centre of the learning experience, a philosophy he enacted throughout his teaching career. He is an advocate of the ‘spiral curriculum’ (Bruner, 1977) and believes the learning experience should be grounded in ‘active learning’.
He has published a range of textbooks and graduated from the University of Bath in 2017 with a DBA in Higher Education Management.
Dr Michael Hannon
GMIT, Galway Campus
Tel: +353 91 742723
Email: Michael Hannon