Every year, GMIT recognises the contribution of our students in various fields, be it academic, sporting cultural etc. GMIT is delighted to offer a wide range of scholarships to GMIT students under the following categories:
1. 1916 BURSARIES
The purpose of this funding is to encourage participation and success by students from sections of society that are significantly under-represented in Higher Education.
New entrants to Higher Education who are socio-economically disadvantaged, meet the income threshold and represent one or more of the target groups are invited to apply.
200 Bursaries are available nationwide which have been divided amongst clusters of Third Level Institutions. GMIT are part of the BMW Cluster together with NUI Galway, Letterkenny Institute of Technology and Institute of Technology Sligo.
GMIT has received an allocation of six bursaries.
The 1916 Bursary is worth €5,000 per academic year to each of the six recipients.
For more information on the Bursary click here.
To watch a video on how to apply for the Bursay, click here.
How to Apply
Applications for the 2021/22 Academic Year are now open.
To complete the 1916 Bursary application form, click here.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm, Friday 9th July. The closing date for submission of supporting documentation is 5pm 30th July.
For further information please contact the Access & Participation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Academic Scholarships
GMIT awards academic scholarships annually to fourteen first year students based on academic merit.
The recipients are those who have achieved the highest Leaving Certificate points in their particular School or campus of GMIT. Leaving Certificate points should be gained in one sitting and it should be the candidate’s first time in Higher Education.
Following registration the students are selected and the scholarships are awarded to the successful students in November each year.
For further information contact GMIT Admissions Office.
3. Access Scholarships
GMIT awards up to twelve financial scholarships to the value of €5,000 each to support students entering GMIT who are from socio-economically or other disadvantaged backgrounds, or those who have faced difficult personal circumstances.
This financial scholarship is provided in increments over the duration of the programme of study.
In addition, scholarship applicants may be eligible for a reduced-points offer of up to 50 CAO points, subject to availability.
Note: Applicants must have taken the Leaving Certificate exams within the last two years.
A candidate must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a new entrant to higher education.
- Be a citizen of an EU/EEA member state, Switzerland, or the UK.
- Have taken the Leaving Certificate exams within the last two years.
- Be a current applicant for a GMIT programme through the CAO and satisfy the general and specific criteria for entry.
- Have family income under the current threshold for the third-level maintenance grant scheme.
Criteria for Selection
• Compliance with conditions specified at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 above.
• Leaving Certificate points within 50 points of the first-round cut-off point for the chosen programme.
• An academic reference is required as part of the assessment process. Applicants should request an academic reference from their school.
Nominated candidates may be short-listed. Those short-listed will be interviewed in August (following Leaving Certificate results and CAO first round offers).
How to apply
Part 1. Completing your application
There are three parts to the application process. Please click here to view a video on how to apply.
To apply please complete the online Application Form here.
The deadline for submission of applications forms is Tuesday 1st June 2021. The deadline for submission of supporting documentation has been extended to Monday 5th July 2021.
There are 23 questions in total. Most of the questions are short with the exception of Question 22, which is a Personal Statement.
Here, you are asked to include reasons why you wish to pursue a third level programme, and any personal challenges you may have experienced. The personal statement can be up to 500 words.
Applicants are advised to prepare a draft of their Personal Statement before starting their application. Completed applications must be submitted by 1st June 2021.
Part 2. Submitting your supporting documentation
After you submit your completed application, you will receive an email with information on how to submit your supporting documentation. Supporting documentation must be submitted by 5th July 2021.
Part 3. Academic Reference
The reference letter should address some, or all, of the following headings: School Participation, Academic Ability, Additional Skills/Achievements, Additional Supports.
Your school can submit the reference directly to GMIT by email to email@example.com by the 5th July 2021.
For further information please contact the Access & Participation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Mature Student Scholarships
There are three scholarships of €1,200 each for registered first year mature students. The scholarship is issued as a once-off payment.
First year mature students will receive an email notification with a link to the online Scholarship Application Form.
Interested candidates should complete the online Application Form and ensure proof of Household Income is uploaded as instructed.
Nominated candidates may be short-listed and then called for an online interview.
Note: Only first year students who are 23 years or older on 1st January of the year of entry are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Submissions are now closed for 2020-21.
Application details for the 2021/22 Academic Year will be uploaded in September 2021.
For further information please contact the Access & Participation Office at email@example.com
5. Special Sports and Cultural Achievement (SSCA) Scheme
The SSCA Scheme is a special entry scheme (worth up to 50 points) targeted at outstanding sportspersons and those who have made a significant contribution to cultural activities. Ten additional places will be reserved for candidates who are committed to further developing their sporting, cultural and academic careers.
A maximum of two places will be available on any GMIT full-time programme with the exception of the following:
- GA785 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Medical Science
- GA880 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in General Nursing
- GA882 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Psychiatric Nursing
- GA980 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Design & Technology Education
- GA285 Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Art, Design & Graphics
Candidates will be required to fulfil the following criteria:
- Satisfy the GMIT minimum entry requirements (general entry requirements and specific programme entry requirements) for the programme(s) to which they are applying.
- Demonstrate evidence of sporting or cultural achievements. (Candidates will be assessed on sporting/cultural achievement and academic performance)
Further Details and How to Apply
For further information and application form, click here.
Closing date: 1st September 2021
6. Sports Scholarships
GMIT supports the development of talented athletes and recognises the increasing need for them to successfully balance academic and sporting commitments.
GMIT facilitates this vision through the Sports Scholarship Programme.
Following registration in GMIT, the sports co-ordination team in the Students Union calls students for interview and selects eight candidates who will receive a scholarship of €1,000 for each year of study.
Submit to: GMIT Sports Development Officer
Closing date: October 9th 2020
Click here to complete and submit the Sports Scholarship Online Application Form
For further information please contact Molly Dunne at 091 742579 or by email.
7. Non-EU Scholarships
Scholarships are available for Non-EU students giving up to a 30% discount off the quoted fee.
If you are a Non-EU student thinking of applying to study in GMIT then you may qualify for a scholarship in recognition of your English language attainment, your country of origin, or both.
For further information contact the International Office.
8. Galway Wind Park Scholarship
The Galway Wind Park Scholarship Programme aims to maximise value for local communities by funding third-level education opportunities for people living within 20 kilometres of Galway Wind Park in Connemara.
Successful scholarship recipients will receive 50% of the Student Contribution Fee, to be paid over the duration of their course to a maximum of three years for undergraduates and one year full-time or two years part-time for postgraduate courses.
Further Information: Click here for further information and application forms
Closing Date: 6th November, 2020
9. Sanctuary Scholarship
Scholarships for those in the International Protection System living in Ireland who are not eligible for state supports and are progressing to undergraduate higher education for the first time.
This scholarship covers:
- All fees (Student Contribution, Tuition Fees and Materials Fees)
- Cost of maintenance to the value of the Full Adjacent Top up Grant
- A mentor to support and guide successful applicants throughout their time at GMIT
Download GMIT's Sanctuary Scholarship details and Application Form (Word, 234.08 KB)
Closing Date: The closing date for applications has been extended to the 15th May.
10. Uversity – Higher Education Scholarships for Adult Learners
Uversity’s scholarships are for adult learners to acquire a Bachelor’s Degree for the first time that will transform their lives and those around them.
Scholarships enable successful candidates to pursue a degree in any discipline in selected institutions on the island of Ireland. Preference is given to candidates enrolling on full-time programmes. Other programmes will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
An applicant must:
- be at least 23 years by 1st January in the year of enrolment
- be a citizen of an EU/EEA member state, Switzerland or the UK or have permanent leave to remain in the Irish State.
- be resident on the island of Ireland for 3 years of the last 5 years
- Be applying, have applied or have been admitted to a Bachelor’s Degree in one of Uversity’s participating institutions for the relevant academic year
Closing Date: 30th April 2021
For more information and to apply visit: https://www.uversity.org/