Certificate in Sustainable Building TechnologyOpen for applications on www.gmit.ie
Discipline: Building & Civil Engineering
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: Level 8 qualification in Construction Management or cognate discipline
The aim of this course is to provide those who already possess a level 7 qualification in construction with an opportunity to upskill to level 8 in the areas of:
- Project Management
- Sustainable Building Technology
- Construction Informatics (which includes Building Information Modelling (BIM))
- Building Energy Systems
- Sustainable Building Technologies - download module details here (PDF)
- Building Energy Systems - download module details here (PDF)
- Construction Informatics - download module details here (PDF)
- Project Management - download module details here (PDF)
- Professional Practice Project Sustainable Building Technology - download module details here (PDF)
- The Next Step - Transitioning to Work - download module details here (PDF)
- Work Experience - download module details here (PDF)
On successful completion of this programme the learner will/should be able to:
1. An in depth knowledge of sustainable building technology theory and the IT skills necessary to deliver residential and commercial construction projects within the construction industry framework of best practice, legislation and building control mechanisms.
2. A detailed knowledge and understanding of the highly technical specialist processes and practices involved in the procurement and management of sustainable construction projects in the future including Building Information Modelling (BIM), sustainability, lifecycle analysis, material choice and provenance.
3. The ability to use specialist software to solve a range of complex construction problems, areas of expertise to include hygrothermal and energy analysis, material specification and the application of advanced project management skills to the management and procurement of sustainable construction projects.
4. The use of technical expertise and professional judgement to procure and deliver construction projects that are designed to increasingly demanding environmental standards.
5. The appreciation of research informed knowledge to solve complex technical construction procurement problems
6. An ability to work as part of a project team in the delivery of complex construction projects.
7. A curiosity for research informed technical information to solve the practical problems associated with the management and delivery of construction projects.
8. A conceptual understanding of the complex social, ethical, political and commercial role that the construction industry plays in a sustainable economy.
20th September 2021
31 August 2021
12 contact hours per week (8 hours online, 4 hours in-house tutorial, 8 hours independent study)
3,200 Euros subject to confirmation
Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie, please select application type L8***.
School: School of Engineering
Department: Department of Civil and Building Engineering
Head of Department Dr. Mary Rogers
Contact person for applications0
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology