Higher Diploma in Engineering in Building Information Modelling (Part-time)Open for Applications
Discipline: Building & Civil Engineering
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Two years
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: Apply direct to GMIT
See Other Essential Information
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is an innovative new approach to building design, construction, and management.
BIM has changed the way industry professionals worldwide think about how technology can be applied to building design, construction, and management. BIM also supports the continuous and immediate availability of project design, scope, schedule, and cost information that is high quality, reliable, integrated, and fully coordinated.
This programme is designed as a direct response to the skill and competency needs of the construction industry. The Higher Diploma in Engineering in BIM programme has completed a pilot phase with construction industry partners and is now being offered as a full-time programme in GMIT.
The delivery of the programme is designed to allow participants stay in the work-place and attend GMIT one evening/week, while completing this part-time 2 year post-graduate award.
Modules undertaken are:
- BIM Virtual Modelling Fundamentals (10 Credits) - Mandatory
- Building Information Modelling Collaboration (10 Credits) - Mandatory
- Building Information Modelling Architecture (10 credits) - Elective
- Building Information Modelling Structure (10 credits) – Elective
- Building Information Modelling Infrastructure (10 credits) - Elective
- Building Information Modelling Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing (MEP) (10 Credits) – Elective
- Building Information Modelling Research Project (30 Credits) - Mandatory.
Upon completion of this course the student will:
- Understand and evaluate the interaction processes involved in designing, constructing and managing a building through use of BIM 3D models and data sets.
- Analyse and select BIM management techniques to achieve the desired deliverables and performance outcomes, including how BIM can contribute to making buildings energy and carbon efficient, sustainable and environmentally friendly and manage the processes required to optimise these outcomes.
- Be able to construct 3D Virtual Building Models for a variety of situations including Architectural, Infrastructure, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing.
- Be able to manage the application of various BIM software packages, their integration, the necessary protocols and procedures needed for networks, database systems and information sharing.
Total Fee (Tuition Fee plus Student Contribution) to complete all 60 credits of the Higher Diploma in Engineering in Building Information Modelling is €5,000 Euros.
For the part-time option (over 2 academic years) fees are payable in two installments €2,400 Euros in September 2018 and €2,600 Euros in September 2019.
This is made up as follows:
- Year 1- two single cert 10 credit modules (€1200 each)
- Year 2: one single cert 10 credit module (€1200) and the 30 credit Major Project (€1400).
- Total (Year 1 Year 2) = €5,000
Students may also register for single modules. Each 10 credit module is €1200 and the 30 credit Major Project is €1400.
Payment by Credit Card, Debit Card, Bank Draft or Postal Order (made payable to GMIT). If your place of employment is paying your education fees, you must provide written evidence of this in advance of the start date. Payment in cash is not accepted. Fees are fully refundable up to the day the course starts, however thereafter there are no refunds.
Students who enroll for this Postgraduate Higher Diploma will qualify for a GMIT Student ID Card. However if you are undertaking only individual modules within the programme you will not qualify for a GMIT Student ID Card.
To qualify for entry to this programme an applicant must hold a relevant Level 7 qualification or equivalent in a cognate area within the construction and built environment industry. Applications will also be accepted from mature applicants who have worked at an appropriate level within the construction industry and who may gain entry by the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Delivery commences in September 2018 one evening per week. The full 60 credits are completed over two academic years.
The course is delivered at GMIT Galway Campus, Dublin Road, Galway, one evening per week, over two years.
Closing Date for Applications
Closing date is the end of August 2018. If all places are taken on the course the status of the course will change from “Open for Applications” to “Course Full”.
You must download, complete fully and return by email (not by post) the Application Form which is in the form of a MS-Excel file. Incomplete files/ postal applications will be returned.
Head of Department
Building & Civil Engineering
Phone: +353 (0)91 74 2210
Email : email@example.com
GMIT Lifelong Learning Centre
Phone: +353 (0)91 742145