Certificate in Climate Resilience for BusinessOpen for applications on www.gmit.ie
Discipline: Business, Humanities and Technology
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: Level 7 degree or equivalent
- Designed to enable graduates to work in companies and organisations in areas and roles that strategically respond to the increasing operational challenges presented by climate change.
- Designed to foster resilience to the challenges of climate change by focussing on ways that businesses can reduce emissions and increase energy and operational efficiency.
- Emphasis is on increasing knowledge and developing skills in key areas where climate change directly affects enterprise operations, such as energy supply, carbon tax, resource usage and waste management.
- Intended to provide upskilling opportunities for those in supervisory or management roles in both the public and private sector.
Open for applications on www.gmit.ie Starts in January 2022
Energy and Resource optimisation - module documentation can be downloaded here (PDF)
Technical module focusing on; Energy management, Carbon accounting, material life cycle analysis, Water usage, Waste management, Biodiversity, Lean manufacturing and responsible procurement.
Climate change and governance - module documentation can be downloaded here (PDF)
National and International sustainability targets and commitments. The UN Sustainable Development Goals, Corporate structures and governance, organisational change.
Work Project - module documentation can be downloaded here (PDF)
Completion of a project that involves an investigation of a relevant work-based environmental issue. Students who are unemployed will be expected to carry out the project as work experience
On successful completion of this programme the learner will/should be able to
1. Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of current legislation and policies in relation to Climate Change.
2. Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of current best practice in climate change mitigation measures
3. Analyse work operations and practices and identify potential environmental impacts.
4. Generate a Corporate Social Responsibility policy and a Sustainability statement for an SME.
5. Propose mitigation measures for a range of work practice/operation related environmental impacts
10th January 2022
Closing date for applications
17th December 2021
2,240 Euros, to be confirmed
The programme will be delivered via a blended learning approach, involving a mixture of remote delivery and face to face delivery over 1 year.
GMIT is planning for blended delivery to be the normal mode of teaching and learning for Semester 1.
Lifelong learning programmes are planned with "remote delivery" of classes, and this will be carried out within existing blended programme delivery models and times.
This will accommodate some level of classroom delivery if Covid-19 restrictions allow later in the academic year.
GMIT will continue to adhere to Government guidelines to ensure the safety of students, staff and the wider community.
Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie, please select application type L8***.
Places will be awarded on academic merit. If all places have not been filled by applicants holding the required entry requirement (Level 7 Major Award) Recognised Prior Learning may be offered to those holding less than a Level 7 Major Award plus 3 years work experience.
School: School of Business
Department: Department of Business Humanities and Technology
Head of Department Michael Gill
Contact person for applications
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology