Certificate in Cybersecurity Operations (SPA) - Springboard+A blended year long 30 credit SPA, Level 9 (Springboard+)
Discipline: Business, Humanities and Technology
NFQ Level: 9
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Entry Requirements: Candidates must hold a level 8 Bachelor (Honours) degree with a minimum grade classification of H2.1 in a L8 major award or equivalent in IT/Computing or cognate area
Free to unemployed applicants. €300 for employed applicants. (10% of full fee)
This SPA has been developed in partnership with Hewlett Packard Enterprises (HPE) Cyber Defense Center.
The modules, content and delivery have been created in collaboration with HPE to ensure that the required skillset is available to all organisations (cyber specific or not), to proactively and reactively mitigate against cyberattack operations.
Organisations implement security measures to protect against data loss. Risk and compliance controls implemented within an organisation often fail to protect the organisation against a cyberattack incident. In such an event, cybersecurity
operations respond to the incident and defend the compromised vulnerability.
The aim of the SPA is to educate IT practitioners in systematically responding to cyberattack incidents. It examines the tools to identify threat actors. Models and frameworks are followed to manage the response. Data analytics can use tools such as machine learning to identify anomalies in organisational IT traffic. Cybersecurity Operations involves implementing secure architecture to defend against vulnerable systems. It can be considered the stage when risk and compliance has failed
- Incident Detection & Response: 10 Credits
- Data Analytics: 10 Credit
- Secure Operations: 10 Credits
NOTE: This course is now closed for applications.
If approved under Springboard+, it will open for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie in May/ June 2021.
The start date if approved would be January 2022.
Apply on www.springboardcourses.ie
To complete your application process you must upload the following:
- A scanned copy of your EU Passport, or a scanned copy of your non-EU Passport with a copy of your Stamp 4 visas sinceJanuary 2017.
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae.
- A copy of your Level 8 Degree/ Major Award or highest other qualification. Translated if not in English
You must also supply ONE of the following:
- A scanned copy of a recent payslip if employed showing your PPSN, OR
- A scanned copy of a recent payment slip if in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance/ benefit, OR
- A copy of a recent Bank Statement showing receipt of a different, eligible, Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection, OR
- A letter from your Accountant confirming that are Self-employed, OR
- An Affidavit signed by you and the appropriate third-party confirming that you are a Homemaker.
For specific detail on the content of modules on this course, please see here: Certificate in Cybersecurity Operations
January 2022 (date to be advised)
Blended delivery - One day per month is provided for in a classroom environment and computer lab.
This is OPTIONAL but does give the student an environment to discuss module content. Computer labs are used to examine cyber analytical tools, frameworks, models, machine learning and investigative platforms. However this lab work will need to be replicated asynchronously for
self-directed research in modules.
One day per term is MANDATORY to assess the abilities of the student to present continuous assessment work on each of the modules. This ensures that timelines are being adhered to and the presentation of their work contributes significantly to the module’s overall assessment marks.
This course and other Springboard+ courses are developed in the context of the Institute’s regional remit to provide access to Higher Education in the region
Students will have to meet the entry requirements as indicated in GMIT’s Academic Code of Practice No. 4
(Access,Transfer and Progression), at any given time.
Recognition of Prior Learning may be used to gain access to this programme in accordance with GMIT’s Recognition of Prior Learning policy. RPL application is via the www.myexperience.ie website.
Free to unemployed recipients (e.g. job-seekers, carers, one-parent families, etc.). For full list please see http://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
For employed participants on courses of NFQ Level 7, 8 or 9, 90% of the course fee is paid by the HEA. Participants will be liable for the remaining 10% fee.
Fees will be due once a place has been accepted
Dr Seamus Dowling
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
+353 (0)85 805 3691 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2014-2020