Certificate in Digital Mapping and GIS (Geographical Information Systems) (Springboard)Open for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie
Discipline: Business, Humanities and Technology
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply through www.springboardcourses.ie
Entry Requirements: The minimum entry requirement is a level 7 major award or equivalent in a cognate area; computing, geography, geology, engineering, ecology, environmental science, epidemiology, heritage, history, outdoor education, surveying or other related discipline
Free to unemployed applicants. €250 for employed applicants
For full eligibility criteria see www.springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
The goal of this programme is to provide an opportunity for recent graduates and employees from a range of diverse sectors (listed below) to develop their skills in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and digital mapping.
- Environmental Scientists
- Data Scientists
- Marine Biologists
- Town Planners
- Transportation Planners
This programme is about the “science of where”.
The advent of location-based technologies, the Open Data movement and free and open source software (FOSS) are opening-up new opportunities and enhancing decision-making capabilities in SMEs, semi-state and government agencies, from national to local level.
This course aims to provide training in geospatial skills to support these sectors.
Open for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie Start date i January 2022.
- Data Capture and Manipulation - download module details here (PDF)
- Geographical Information Systems 1 - download module details here (PDF)
- Geographical Information Systems 2 - download module details here (PDF)
- Web Mapping - download module details here (PDF)
- The Next Step - Transitioning to Work - download module details here (PDF)
On successful completion of this programme the learner will/should be able to:
1. Describe the theoretical and technical concepts pertaining to digital mapping and Geographical Information Systems.
2. Have detailed knowledge and understanding and of GIS within desktop, field and web-based contexts.
3. Demonstrate a range of specialised technical skills and abilities in collating, manipulating and disseminating spatial data
4. Apply their knowledge to developing strategies for managing data needs appropriate to GIS.
5. Utilise their knowledge and skills to develop strategies for spatial data handling across desktop, field and internet platforms.
6. Contribute constructively to problem solving within the context of spatial data systems utilisation.
7. Research new technologies and software tools within the context of GIS.
8. Learn from experiences gained from different contexts. 9. Take responsibility for his/her own learning. 10. Maintain integrity and independence in professional judgement.
School: School of Business
Department: Department of Business Humanities & Technology
Head of Department: Michael Gill
Contact person for admissions
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
+353 (0)85 805 3691 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2017-2021