Certificate in the Financial & Economic Environment (SPA Level)This is a 10 credit module covering elements of accounting and economics.
Discipline: Business, Humanities and Technology
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
The aim of this module is to provide students with an overview of the financial and economic context within which organisations
operate. It will afford students the opportunity to appreciate the central role of the financial function in an organisation.
It will also offer students an insight into the importance to the organisation of the economic environment.
This course is classified as a Special Purpose Award (SPA).
- Introduction to Financial Environment
- Financial Accounting
- Cost Concepts, Classifications & Measurement
- Budgetary Planning
- Cost Volume Profit Analysis
- Introduction to Economic Environment
- Economic Systems
- Market Structures
- Demand, Supply and Prices
- National Income
- The Irish Economy
On completion of this module, the learner will/should be able to
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the nature, purposes, role and scope of accounting
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate accounting information
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of cost terms and of how these costs relate to business decision-making
- Explain the budgetary process and its importance in organisational control
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the nature, purposes, context and fundamental principles of economics and apply these principles to resource allocation decisions
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the role of markets in a local and global context
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the nature of economic growth, its drivers and its limitations
- Demonstrate an ability to contribute to debate on contemporary economic issues
Duration: January - May 2022
Time: 9am-4.15pm / Fridays– Semester II
Start date: Friday 7th January 2022
7th January, 4th February, 4th & 25th March, 29th April 2022.
Online applications open on 6th April 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie, using application type M7.
GMIT is planning for blended delivery to be a possibility for Semester II in this 2021-2022 academic year. Lifelong learning programmes are planned with "remote delivery" of classes, and this will be done within existing blended programme delivery models and times. This will also allow for some level of classroom delivery if Covid-19 restrictions allow later the academic year.
GMIT will continue to adhere to Government guidelines to ensure the safety of students, staff and the wider community.