Certificate in Management for SupervisorsThis is a broad but detailed introduction to Supervisory Management with a strong focus on how the role of the supervisor is changing. This course involves approximately 2 days per month attendance at our Mayo Campus in addition to online delivery.
Discipline: Business, Humanities and Technology
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: 30 Weeks
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
While there is a strong emphasis on communication skills, particularly interpersonal communication, this course provides learners with instruction in the general areas of:
- Management, including planning, organising, motivation and control, as well as the modern focus on teams.
- It serves the needs of students who either plan to enter supervisory positions or those already in management who wish to upgrade their supervisory management skills.
The curriculum offers a combination of management theory and workplace based skills, to provide learners with the necessary skills to be effective supervisors.
This course will be delivered at the GMIT Mayo campus over one half-day per month from September 2021 to May 2022.
Supervisory Management in Context:
- Defining the supervisor
- Different levels and roles of management
- The skills supervisors need
- The changing role of supervisory management
Motivating Oneself and Others:
- Theories of Motivation
- Practical Ways to Motivate
- Personality, Perception and Attribution
- Motivating Oneself
- Time management
The Supervisor as Communicator:
- Understanding the Communication Process
- Interpersonal Communication:
- Understanding others
- Handling Conflict
- Giving Feedback
- Presentation skills
- Writing skills
- Management theory and the Functions of Management
- The rise of managarialism and the Classical approach
- Modern theory in management
- The functions of Management (planning, organizing, motivation and control)
The Supervisor as Team Leader:
- Understanding Teams
- The role of leadership
- Facilitating Teams
Ethics and Social Responsibility:
- Understanding Ethics
- Ethical Issues in business
- The role of the supervisor and ethics
- Equality and Cultural Diversity
- Dealing with Harassment and Bullying
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to
- Recognise the important role of the supervisor in managing and leading a team, and how that is changing today.
- Describe modern management theory and how it influences and supports management thinking and action.
- Explain the role, responsibilities and general duties of a supervisor and the how he or she contributes to organisational efficiency.
- Discuss the role of supervisors in identifying and attaining management goals and leading people.
- Appreciate the importance of communication to the supervisory role, and develop the skills to be an effective communicator.
- Discuss ethical concerns in business decision making and the role that supervisors play in promoting ethical awareness among employees.
This 15 credit module is part of a larger 60 credit Certificate in Supervisory Management. Students can accumulate credits towards the larger award by undertaking and successfully passing the other modules in the programme namely:
- Law & HRM
- Financial & Economic Environment
- Managing Operations
- Work Based Project
Duration: 4.25hrs – Block Release (1 day per month to be advised)
Time: 9.00am – 1.15pm, Semester I & II
Start date: Thursday, 23rd September 2021 (Provisional)
- Further Dates: (TBC)
14th October, 4th November, 2nd December, 6th January, 3rd February, 3 & 28 March & 28th April
How to Apply
Online applications open on 6th April 2021 for September commencement
***Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie Please select application type L7***
A user guide is attached to guide you through the step-by-step process.
If you have any queries on this please email Learn@gmit.ie
Recognition of Prior Learning may be used to gain access to this programme in accordance with GMIT’s Recognition of Prior Learning policy. For more information on the RPL Process, please visit https://www.myexperience.ie/about/how-rpl-works/