Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Business Information SystemsBe part of the digital revolution with this Level 8 Business and IT degree
Discipline: Business IT
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Four years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 300 (2018)
An understanding of information systems is vital to anyone who wants to work in, or manage a business.
This four-year Level 8 course prepares you to become a skilled knowledge worker and information systems specialist for tomorrow’s dynamic and global businesses.
A major knowledge gap exists between managers who need to run the business, but are confused by the Information Technology Systems, and the 'techies' who deliver working IT solutions, but are not addressing the business needs. This programme aims to develop your understanding of the interaction between IT systems and business to prepare you for graduate positions in business operations and IT projects.
This programme, which is offered both as a four-year Level 8 programme and a three-year Level 7 programme, and is highly practical, combining business and IT. A key strength of this programme is its focus on emerging technologies including Cloud Computing and Data Analytics.
Click HERE to view our brochure.
Electives - Year Long
Academic Writing or Language & Culture (French, German, Spanish, Gaeilge)
Year 2 - Semster 3
Year 2 - Semster 4
Year 3 - Semester 5
Market Research or Language & Culture 3 (French, German, Spanish or Gaelige)
Year 3 - Semester 6
Year 4 - Semester 7
Intellectual Property Law or Language 4 (French, German, Spanish or Gaeilge)
Year 4 - Semester 8
Strategic Management 2 or Language 4 (French, German, Spanish or Gaeilge)
This qualification will enable graduates to gain employment in diverse roles within the business and IT areas which includes but is not limited to:
- IT / IS Business Analysts
- IT Project Management
- Data Analysts
- Systems Analysts
- Web Developers
- Applications support and testing
In the past, students from our information systems degree have gained employment with companies such as Hewlett Packard, SAP, Siemens, and Fidelity Ireland.
- Focus on Employability Skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, analysis and problem solving.
- Opportunity to Study Languages and to Study Abroad in France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands or the USA.
- Option of Exit Award at Higher Certificate or Bachelor level.
- Teaching Council Requirements This programme meets the requirements for entry onto a programme of initial teacher education (post-primary) for Business and Information & Communications Technology/Computer Studies depending on electives chosen.
- You can find more indepth detail of this course, and all our other courses, at GMIT School of Businees by downloading a copy of our online brochure.