Bachelor of Business (Honours) MayoWe are not accepting applications from new students for the academic year 2021/22
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Four years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 250 (2016)
What do we offer?
GMIT Mayo Campus offers a four-year honours degree (Level 8) in Business. The Bachelor of Business (Honours) offers students a broad-based, inter-disciplinary business education which focuses on preparing them for employment and a successful career in business.
New Award Option for 2016 - Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting
For those who wish to specialise in accounting, this degree also offers the possibility to graduate with a Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting, subject to taking certain electives. Students take a common first year with the Bachelor of Business (Hons) and have the choice of selecting the accounting pathway at the end of Year 1.
What will you learn?
On the programme you will study the key areas of marketing, accounting and finance, operations, information systems and human resource management. The flexible design of the programme means that you will engage with all aspects of business while also being able to focus on areas of particular interest to you through elective choices.
What will you achieve?
You will develop key skills including the ability to analyse the competitive marketplace and to identify new market opportunities, the ability to create, communicate and implement business objectives and the ability to manage people, operations, information systems and financial resources.
What are the special features of this programme?
Throughout the programme there is a strong emphasis on the contemporary business world. Students have the opportunity to analyse and evaluate competitive scenarios, to carry out practical projects and to interact with guest speakers from industry. In the third year of the programme there is an accredited work experience module, which offers students the possibility of enhancing their employability through hands-on experience in the work place. At GMIT Mayo Campus, we also actively encourage our students to start their own business. The annual GMIT Student Innovation Awards, organised by the GMIT Innovation Hub, located here on campus, give students a unique opportunity to test their creative business ideas.
- Introduction to Statistics
- Business Mathematics
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Law
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Accounting Software Applications
- PC Applications, Management
- Introduction to Accounting
- EU Matters
- European Union Policy
- Intercultural Studies
- Government & Public Policy
- Exploring Values
- Professional Development Skills
- Language (French, German, Spanish or Irish)
- Marketing Practice
- Management Accounting 1
- Management Accounting 2
- Business Information Systems
- Business Law
- Social & Organisational Psychology
- Introduction to HRM
- Financial Accounting 1
- Financial Accounting 2
- Sales Management
- Personal Finance
- Financial Investment
- Web Design
- Quality Management
- Introduction to Research
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Business PC Applications
- Management Information Systems
- Operations Management
- Decision Making & Quantitative Analysis
- Small Business Management
- Organisational Behaviour.
- Employment Law
- Employee Relations
- Digital Marketing
- Services Marketing
- Work Experience
- Management Accounting 3
- Strategic Management
- Political Economy
- Management Control Systems
- Critical Thinking
- Corporate Ethics & Governance.
- International Marketing
- Strategic Marketing
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Gender & Organisations
- Innovation Management
- ICT Project Management
- New Venture Creation
- Management Accounting 4
- Corporate Finance
- Business Combination Accounting
As a graduate of this programme, you may go on to:
- Become a manager in a small business or a multinational company
- Become a manager in a public sector or voluntary organisation
- Have a career in accounting, financial services, purchasing, retail management, marketing or human resource management
- Gain exemptions from professional bodies in accounting or human resource management
- Progress to Master’s Degree level in your chosen specialisation
- Set up and manage your own business
It is not necessary to have studied any business subject previously to pursue this programme. Students who wish to specialise in accounting, and who successfully complete the first two years of this programme (including specified accounting modules), may apply to transfer to year three of the Bachelor of Arts in Accounting and Financial Management programme. Students have the option of studying in one of our European or American partner colleges for a semester.
We are not accepting applications onto the first year of this programme for 2021/22. We are however accepting applications onto the fourth year of this programme. For further queries contact Michael Gill.