Higher Certificate in Science in Information Technology SupportAPPLICATIONS NOW OPEN FOR JANUARY 2019 START. Application course code GA_KITSC_C06
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: Eighteen Months
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: See "Essential Information" below
If you have an interest in how computers work, if you like solving Information Technology (IT) problems and enjoy working with people using computers then this programme is for you. It is a long-standing and recently updated programme exploring how computer systems work and communicate, how they are used in a variety of organisations and how to solve problems encountered by people using these systems.
On graduating you will have the necessary skills to:
- Provide user support, including help-desk operations
- Use, understand, configure and troubleshoot Local Area Networks (LANs)
- Install, configure & update software applications in a Windows and Linux operating environment
- Use and support standard office automation tools
- Write a basic structured software application
- Design and create a database
- Install and troubleshoot elements of a computer system in a standalone or integrated environment
- Provide IT user training
Through elective choices you may further develop your software development or web development skills.
This course will be delivered using a mix of the following learning styles:
- Lectures and Tutorials
- Lab practicals
- Class discussion
- Activity-based learning
- Problem-based learning
- Case-study analysis
- Structured exercises
- Network Fundamentals
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Software Development 1
- Computer Applications
- Operating Systems1
- Computer Systems
- IT Support
- IT Training
- Operating Systems 2
- Database Systems
- Networks 2
- IT Work Project/ Experience
- Software Development 2 or Multimedia
Graduates have gained employment in lots of different companies or organisations as the following:
- IT Support Technician/Engineer
- IT Trainer
- IT Helpdesk
Our students and graduates work in companies or organisations such as:
- Port West
- Ballina Beverages
- Smyths Toys
- Hollister, Allergan
- City and/or County Councils and many more.
This programme has strong links with industry. The IT Work Project/Experience module in Year Two will take place one-day per week.
This is an opportunity for students to work in an organisation to gain industrial experience. The IT work experience can take place in a variety of both public and private sector organisations, from large manufacturing companies to the local computer shop or school. If for any reason a work experience placement cannot be arranged, you will undertake a workplace standard project supervised by an academic.
Graduates can progress to the one year add-on Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Administration at the Mayo campus or a similar programme at another institute.
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN FOR 2019 START.
Applicants will be required to make a Direct Application to GMIT through our Online Admissions system and then attend for interview.
- Leaving Certificate or FETAC/QQI Level 5 exam results
- Mature Applicants (i.e. over the age of 23) do not have to meet the Leaving Certificate entry requirements.
- Please note if you are not applying as a mature student (i.e. you are under 23) your application will not be processed further unless we receive a copy of your transcript of results
- Students from other Higher Education Institutions (HEI's) applying to transfer to the second stage (or any other stage) of a GMIT programme or
- Holders of FETAC Level 6 Awards may be eligible for consideration for progression to Stage 2 of agreed cognate GMIT course please.
Submission of Previous Qualifications:
If you hold the Leaving Certificate or a FETAC/QQI full award please send a copy of the following documents to:
- Admissions Office, GMIT, Dublin Road, Galway.
All submitted documents must have your name, date of birth and the course name you have applied for.
If you have a qualification obtained outside of the European Union, please contact Quality and Qualifications Ireland at QQI in order to obtain a letter from them comparing your qualification with an Irish qualification under the National Framework of Qualifications.
How to Login
Go to GMIT's Online Admissions system at the "APPLY NOW" link below.
First Time Users:
- Select "Apply for Admission" and create a new user account, noting your Login details and PIN
- Select "Application Type - 'New to GMIT'"
- If you are a former GMIT student, please select “Apply for Admission” and enter your Student ID
- Your PIN number is your date of birth in the six digit format (DD/MM/YY) unless you previously changed it
If you have difficulty logging in please e-mail email@example.com
How to Apply
Submit an online application for the course you want by following the 9 steps outlined in our Online Admissions User Guide.
Application course code GA_KITSC_C06
Complete all checklist items displayed, then click on 'Application is Complete'.
Remember! If you hold the Leaving Certificate or a FETAC/QQI full award please send a copy of the following documents to: Admissions Office, GMIT, Dublin Road, Galway.