Certificate in Design in Traditional Signwriting
Discipline: Creative Arts and Media
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: There are no entry requirements for this Special Purpose Award
The cost of this module is €540.
An instalment plan is available on request. Please contact Learn@gmit.ie
This module is a practical introduction to the craft of traditional signwriting and hand-lettering, aimed at life-long learners.
It is designed to develop skills that are applicable in commercial and community contexts.
On completion of this module, you will/should;
- Have the ability to design traditional painted signs, chalkboards and other hand-lettered projects.
- Have the technical competence to paint and write traditional signs, chalkboards and other hand-lettering projects.
- Be able to catalogue a body of work and demonstrate project documentation skills.
- Have a basic understanding of the essentials of design and lettering.
- Develop your professional working practices in the producton and presentation of sign and lettering projects.
You will learn about the following:
- Letters: development of the alphabet and typography; legibility; methods of drawing letters; weight, style and spacing.
- Drawing: geometrical drawing; preparing full-size drawings; heraldry.
- Colour: the colour wheel, the Munsell colour system; the British standard colour chart; colour and legibility.
- Coatings: composition; mediums, thinners, pigments, driers; handling and storage.
- Signwriting: tools, their use and care; the signwriting process; brush control and the mahlstick; writing signs on wood, render and glass.
- Chalkboard projects: setting out, chalks, soft pastels and wet-wipe markers.
- Costing sign, chalkboard and hand-lettering projects and presenting quotations, specifications and drawings.
- Presentation of sign and other hand-lettering projects, including on social media.
A complete list of materials and equipment required by the students for this module will be provided prior to the commencement of the course.
Entry Requirements to a Level 6 award
Minimum Leaving Certificate entry requirement grade O6/H7 or higher in 5 Leaving Certificate subjects including Mathematics and English or Irish with a minimum of 160 points.
- OR a Pass in any QQI FET major award at level 5 or 6
- OR Mature applicants (age 23 on or before the 1st January) do not have to meet the Leaving Certificate entry requirements/points, but are considered on an individual basis (previous education, work experience and demonstration of ability and competence to undertake the programme).
How to Apply
***Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie Please select application type L6***.
This user guide contains step by step instructions on how to create and submit an online application.
If you have any queries on this please email Learn@gmit.ie