Certificate in Culinary Skills - SPRINGBOARD+Open for applications from the 25th June on www.springboardcourses.ie
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Entry Requirements: Five pass grades at Leaving Certificate level. Mature learners will be invited for interview.
This course is free to both employed and unemployed applicants.
- The aim of this course is to provide you with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary for a career in a professional cookery environment.
- This will be achieved by providing you with the essential practical skills and knowledge required of modern day professionals working in kitchen environments.
- The primary focus is to prepare you for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets and restaurants.
On successful completion of this programme you will have the ability to:
- Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional kitchen
- Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional kitchen
- Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional kitchen
- Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical and contemporary dishes
- Apply and adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production and menu planning
- Analyse appropriate styles of food and beverage service
- Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
- Operate computer software and systems relevant to the culinary arts
- Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills and competence to design, organise, serve and evaluate a meal experience.
- Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Identify key academic and independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
16 contact hours over two days.
Apply on www.springboardcourses.ie
To complete the application process you must upload the following:
- A scanned copy of your EU Passport, or a scanned copy of your non-EU Passport with a copy of your Stamp 4 Visas since 2017
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae
You must also supply ONE of the following:
- A scanned copy of a recent payslip if employed showing your PPSN, OR
- A scanned copy of a recent payment slip if in receipt of jobseekers allowance/benefit, OR
- A copy of a recent bank statement showing receipt of a different, eligible, Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection payment, OR
- A letter from your accountant confirming that you are self-employed, OR
- An affidavit signed by you and the appropriate third-party confirming that you are a homemaker.
Graduate & Professional Development
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Phone: +353 (0)85 805 3691 (09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday)
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2014-2020