Certificate in Culinary Skills - SPRINGBOARDOpen for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply through www.springboardcourses.ie
Entry Requirements: Five pass grades at Leaving Certificate level. Mature learners will be invited for interview.
This course is free to both employed and unemployed applicants.
See www.springboardcourses.ie/eligibility for eligibility criteria
- The aim of this course is to provide you with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary for a career in a professional cookery environment.
- This will be achieved by providing you with the essential practical skills and knowledge required of modern day professionals working in kitchen environments.
- The primary focus is to prepare you for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets and restaurants.
Open for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie Start date September 2021
- Food Safety - download module details here (PDF)
- Restaurant Service - download module details here (PDF)
- Nutrition - download module details here (PDF)
- Introduction to Live Kitchen Service - download module details here (PDF)
- Professional Cookery Operations - download module details here (PDF)
- Fundamentals of Pastry, Baking and Desserts. - download module details here (PDF)
- Introduction to Professional Culinary Practice - download module details here (PDF)
On successful completion of this programme you will have the ability to:
- Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional kitchen
- Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional kitchen
- Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional kitchen
- Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical and contemporary dishes
- Apply and adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production and menu planning
- Analyse appropriate styles of food and beverage service
- Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
- Operate computer software and systems relevant to the culinary arts
- Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills and competence to design, organise, serve and evaluate a meal experience.
- Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Identify key academic and independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
Course Start Date:
September 2021 - check www.springboardcourses.ie for actual start date
16 contact hours over two days from September to May
Apply on www.springboardcourses.ie
The Springboard+ Programme is operated by the Higher Education Authority on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills and is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Union under the European Structural and Investment Funds Programme 2021-2027.
School: Galway International Hotel School
Department: Department of Culinary Arts & Services Industries
Head of Department Jacinta Dalton
Contact person for the course
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
085 805 3691 from 09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2021-2027