Certificate in Culinary Skills - SPRINGBOARD+Apply on www.springboardcourses.ie
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Entry Requirements: Leaving Certificate with 5 passes. Mature learners will be invited for interview
The aim of this course is to provide learners with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary for a career in a professional cookery environment.
This will be achieved by providing learners with the essential practical skills and knowledge required of modern day professionals working in kitchen environments.
This one year, part-time programme combines college-based education in culinary operations with work-based learning in industry.
The primary focus is to prepare graduates for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets and restaurants.
On successful completion of this programme learners will have the ability to:
- Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional kitchen
- Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional kitchen
- Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional kitchen
- Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical and contemporary dishes
- Apply and adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production and menu planning
- Analyse appropriate styles of food and beverage service
- Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
- Operate computer software and systems relevant to the culinary arts
- Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills and competence to design, organise, serve and evaluate a meal experience.
- Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Identify key academic and independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
16 contact hours over two days.
No fees for employed or unemployed applicants.
Apply on www.springboardcourses.ie
Graduate & Professional Development
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Phone: +353 91 742328
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2014-2020