Certificate in Pastry and Bakery
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: See "Essential Information" below
€1,080 plus material fees of €495
CAO Round 1 Points: Not applicable
This course aims to provide introductory skills for those with a passion for pastry and baking and who are either in the hospitality industry or considering a career change.
What to expect
You will spend one full day (Thursdays) per week in college for the duration of the academic year developing new skills and knowledge.
During this course, you will work in training kitchens and will follow an intensive course of study.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate in Pastry and Bakery (20 credits).
On successful completion of this programme the learner will/should be able to:
1. Foster the intellectual ability in a manner which enables them to make a meaningful contribution in their personal and professional lives
2. Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional pastry kitchen
3. Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional pastry kitchen
4. Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional pastry kitchen
5. Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of pastries, breads and desserts.
6. Show innovation in producing a range of pastry and baking products
7. Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
8. Identify key academic and independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry
9. Identify current national and international trends in food industry relevant to pastry, baking and desserts
10. Operate effectively within a culturally-diverse environment
See attached program documentation
- Commis pastry chef
- Apprentice Baker
- Apprentice Patisserie chef
GMIT has many industry partners, all of whom have immediate employment opportunities for individuals with pastry skills.
Graduates can apply for the following courses through the CAO (www.cao.ie) and may be granted exemptions.
You will need to buy uniforms, safety shoes and a knife kit before the course starts.
GMIT will make full arrangements for this.
Entry Requirements to a Level 6 award
Minimum Leaving Certificate entry requirement grade O6/H7 or higher in 5 Leaving Certificate subjects including Mathematics and English or Irish with a minimum of 160 points.
- OR a Pass in any QQI FET major award at level 5 or 6
- OR Mature applicants (age 23 on or before the 1st January) do not have to meet the Leaving Certificate entry requirements/points, but are considered on an individual basis (previous education, work experience and demonstration of ability and competence to undertake the programme).
We are now accepting online applications to this programme.
How to Apply
***Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie, please select application type L6***.
This user guide contains step by step instructions on how to create and submit an online application.
If you have any queries on this please email Learn@gmit.ie
Closing Date for Applications
Friday 30th August 2021.