Chef de Partie ApprenticeshipThe Chef de Partie Apprenticeship is an ‘earn and learn’ degree programme that combines on-the-job training with academic study in GMIT
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Four years
Mode of Study: Flexible Learning
Student contribution fee:
€1,500 per annum for years 1 & 2
€750 per annum for years 3 & 4
The Chef de Partie apprenticeship at GMIT will:
- Allow you to work and earn while achieving a qualification
- Give you time to develop and enhance your skills and techniques with a mentor
- Provide you with a wide range of career opportunities in any type of food business
- Open doors to career progression from Chef de Partie to Sous Chef and Head Chef
The course is structured over 8 semesters, over 4 years
Delivery is based on a 12-week semester as follows;
- Semester 1: September to December
- Semester 2: January to May
Apprentices who successfully complete the Chef De Partie Apprenticeship Programme will be eligible to progress to the Sous Chef Apprenticeship at Level 8.
The minimum age at which the employment of an apprentice may commence is 16 years of age.
The minimum education qualifications are:
1. A pass in the Leaving Certificate or equivalent examinations, obtaining a minimum grade O6/H7 in English, and O6/H7 in four other subjects;
2. A full QQI FET level 5 Award;
3. Relevant industry experience – Assessment of industry experience is by application to the Institute of Technology Tralee. Recognition of Prior Learning is dealt with on an individual basis once a student has registered.
4. If you are employed as a chef and/or hold previous qualifications you may be eligible for advanced entry into year 2 or 3 of the programme.
How does the Apprenticeship work?
- The Chef de Partie Apprenticeship programme is designed to expose you to a wide range of culinary skills and ideas.
- It allows you to not only learn how to do something, but understand why it is done a certain way.
- It combines classroom training with hands-on practical skills development in the workplace.
- You follow a structured path of learning to build your knowledge and skills from a basic to advanced level.
- Your work-based mentor will monitor and help you progress through the apprenticeship and you will learn how your college based learning links to your everyday working environment.
This programme is designed by industry and academic professionals so you will learn the skills, knowledge and behaviours necessary for a successful career that will take you anywhere in the world.
What is a Chef de Partie?
A Chef de Partie is trained to:
- deliver advanced culinary skills in a professional kitchen
- supervise a particular area or station within the kitchen
- work on their own as well as train Commis Chefs
How can I become an Apprentice?
To become an Apprentice, you must be currently employed or must obtain employment in a Solas approved establishment.
Find out more
On successful completion of the Chef De Partie Apprenticeship Programme the Apprentice will receive a Level 7 – Bachelor of Art in Culinary Arts.
Head of Department, Culinary Arts & Service Industries
Galway International Hotel School
Tel: 091 742320