Sous Chef ApprenticeshipThe Sous Chef Apprenticeship is an ‘earn and learn’ Honours Degree Programme that combines on-the-job training with academic study in GMIT
Discipline: Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Two years
Mode of Study: Flexible Learning
Year 1: €750
Year 2: €750
The Sous Chef Apprenticeship at GMIT will:
- Allow you to work and earn whilst gaining a relevant professional qualification
- Allow you the time to develop and enhance your skills and techniques under the guidance of a work-based mentor
- Provide the opportunity for career progression from Chef De Partie to Sous Chef
The course is structured over 4 semesters, over 2 years
Delivery is based on a 12-week semester as follows;
- Semester 1: September to December
- Semester 2: January to May
Apprentices who successfully complete the Sous Chef Apprenticeship Programme will be eligible to progress to the Head Chef Apprenticeship Programme at Level 9 (Masters).
The minimum education qualifications are:
1. Applicants must hold a level 7 Ordinary Degree in Culinary Arts or equivalent qualification
2. Relevant industry experience – Assessment of industry experience is by application to the Institute of Technology Tralee. Recognition of Prior Learning is dealt with on an individual basis once a student has registered.
How does the Sous Chef Apprenticeship work?
- This programme is designed by industry and academic professionals so the Apprentice will gain the knowledge, skills and competencies at an advanced level. To ensure that all aspects of food preparation, production and service are carried out to the highest standard and in accordance with food hygiene regulations, company standards and policies.
- The programme enables you to be an effective team leader and production specialist at operational, managerial and technical levels.
- The programme also focuses on the responsibility of guiding, directing and training team members.
- You will be concentrating on areas such as personal development, food innovation, and the capitalisation of market trends and the management of department finances and budgets; all the while endeavouring to exceed customer expectations.
- It combines classroom training with hands-on practical skills development within the workplace.
- Your work-based mentor will monitor and help you progress through the apprenticeship and you will learn how your college based learning links to your everyday working environment.
How can I become an Apprentice?
To become an Apprentice, you must be currently employed or must obtain employment in a Solas approved establishment.
Find out more
On successful completion of the Sous Chef Apprenticeship Programme, the Apprentice will receive a Level 8 – Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Culinary Arts.
Head of Department, Culinary Arts & Service Industries
Galway International Hotel School
Tel: 091 742320