Courses in


GMIT Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship

Higher Certificate in Engineering in Manufacturing Engineering (Apprenticeship)

Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship, with 70% of time spent in the workplace, and 30% in GMIT

Discipline: Engineering

Location: Galway - Dublin Road

NFQ Level: 6

Programme Duration: Two years

Mode of Study: Full time

Why Study?

This Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship is a two-year programme delivered by Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) and a number of other Institutes of Technology.

It is for school leavers (leaving certificate) as well as existing Production Operators and Technicians who want to train or retrain in the engineering and manufacturing sectors, and work as a Manufacturing Technician.

Manufacturing Technicians provide a technical support function for manufacturing operations, including troubleshooting equipment and process issues, validation and qualification activities of the manufacturing site.


Course details

This Apprenticeship is a 2 year programme, with an approved employer, with 70% of the time spent on the job and the remaining 30% spent in GMIT (or allocated Institute of Technology)

Go to the website for more details, or download the brochure here.


Application Process

Interested students should apply through their employer.

Programme Modules

Year 1 

  • Learning and Innovation Skills 
  • Electrical Science
  • Essential Engineering Science
  • Manufacturing Engineering 1 
  • Essential Engineering Maths 1 
  • Industry Module 1 
  • CAD 
  • Quality 1 

Year 2

  • Engineering Maths 2
  • Industry Module 2
  • Metrology
  • Manufacturing Automation 2
  • Manufacturing Engineering 2
  • Maintenance and Safety
  • Lean Manufacturing
  • Manufacturing Design for Fixtures
  • Quality 2

Contact Us

Denise Carthy


Tel: +353 1 605 1727

Email: Denise Carthy


The manufacturing apprenticeship programmes have been developed by the Irish Medtech Association, the business association within Ibec, along with Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), co-ordinating provider, and representatives from the medical technology sector.