Higher Diploma in Engineering in Building Information ModellingOpen For Applications
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Two years
Mode of Study: Part time
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: Relevant Level 7 qualification or Recognition of Prior Learning
See Application Form for Fees per module. Total Fee 5,000 Euros.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is an innovative new approach to building design, construction, and management.
BIM has changed the way industry professionals worldwide think about how technology can be applied to building design, construction, and management. BIM also supports the continuous and immediate availability of project design, scope, schedule, and cost information that is high quality, reliable, integrated, and fully coordinated.
This programme is designed as a direct response to the skill and competency needs of the construction industry. The Higher Diploma in Engineering in BIM programme has completed a pilot phase with construction industry partners and is now being offered as a full-time programme in GMIT. The delivery of the programme is designed to allow participants to stay in the work-place while completing this two-year post-graduate award.
Modules undertaken are:
- BIM Virtual Modelling Fundamentals (10 Credits) - CIVE08051 - Mandatory
- Building Information Modelling Collaboration (10 Credits) - CIVE08056 - Mandatory - Must have completed CIVE08051
- Building Information Modelling Architecture (10 credits) - CIVE08052 - Elective - Must have completed CIVE08051
- Building Information Modelling Structure (10 credits) – CIVE08053 - Elective - Must have completed CIVE08051
- Building Information Modelling Infrastructure (10 credits) - CIVE08054 - Elective - Must have completed CIVE08051
- Building Information Modelling Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing (MEP) (10 Credits) – CIVE08055 - Elective - Must have completed CIVE08051
- Building Information Modelling Research Project (30 Credits) - CIVE08057 - Mandatory - Must have completed a minimum of three modules
Overall Learning Outcomes - on completion of this programme the student will:
- Understand and evaluate the interaction processes involved in designing, constructing and managing a building through use of BIM 3D models and data sets.
- Analyse and select BIM management techniques to achieve the desired deliverables and performance outcomes, including how BIM can contribute to making buildings energy and carbon efficient, sustainable and environmentally friendly and manage the processes required to optimise these outcomes.
- Be able to construct 3D Virtual Building Models for a variety of situations including Architectural, Infrastructure, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing.
- Be able to manage the application of various BIM software packages, their integration, the necessary protocols and procedures needed for networks, database systems and information sharing.
To qualify for entry to this programme an applicant must hold a relevant Level 7 qualification or equivalent in a cognate area within the construction and built environment industry. Applications will also be accepted from mature applicants who have worked at an appropriate level within the construction industry and who may gain entry by the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
The full 60 credit programme is completed over two calendar years.
This online, blended learning programme consists of 75% online and 25% face-to-face delivery.
The two mandatory modules, BIM Collaboration and BIM Virtual Modelling Fundamentals and the suite of electives, will be delivered with face-to-face workshops and online lectures.
The 30-credit Research Project module will be delivered 100% online - 3 workshops online and individual supervision.
The application form is a MS Word document. It is available at this link: Application Form
Please complete it fully (as appropriate) and return it by email to Mary Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that incomplete forms will be returned.
Closing Date for Applications
Friday 30th August 2020.
Tuition Fees and Payment
Total fees for this course are €5,000.
Fees are payable prior to the commencement of study. Payment is by direct payment to GMIT's Bank Account.
This course qualifies for the issuance of a GMIT Student ID Card.