Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives 2021
Diversity and Inclusion Guest Speaking Sessions
What is Diversity and Inclusion?
Armando Garrine spoke to staff and students about what diversity and inclusion mean for organisations. Armando is an international HR professional who has led on various initiatives in the field of diversity and inclusion in the banking and tech industries.
Gender Equality and Challenges Faced by Women
Dr Orla Flynn was joined by Deputy Rose Conway-Walsh and Amina Momoh (BA Social Care student) to discuss the themes of gender equality and the challenges faced by women in different contexts.
This discussion is available to view on YouTube.
Contemporary and Historical Themes Relating to Gender and Equality
A series of presentations chaired by Dr John Mulloy:
- Sustainability Leadership – exploring the role of "feminine" leadership qualities. (Dr Deirdre Garvey)
- Transitions: Transgender and Non-Binary through the pandemic and beyond. (Luci Kershaw)
- 'They need someone to make the tea for them up there.' Challenges faced by female political leaders. (Dr Janine McGinn)
- Kathleen Lynn: Revolutionary Doctor (Dr Yvonne McDermott)
- Not Just a Pretty Face: Lady Louisa Conolly, Society Woman and Benefactor (Fiona White)
These presentations are available to view on YouTube.
Third-year, female, students of the BA in Contemporary Art Practices programme showcased some of their work. The display included drawings, paintings, prints, 3D work, animation, and digital experiments.
Galway International Hotel School Networking Event for Women in Food
Sally McKenna and Jacinta Dalton co-hosted a networking event for women in the food and hospitality sector. The event included panel discussions with food writers, artisans, farmers and chefs. The showcase was designed to highlight the array of occupational opportunities in the sector for women.