Here, we have gathered all the information on financial supports available to our students.
Student Grant Scheme - "SUSI"
The student grant is the main source of financial help available from the Irish State for students in full-time higher education undergraduate courses.
Support is available to eligible students in most colleges in Ireland as well as eligible Irish students in many colleges in Northern Ireland, the UK and other EU States.
For details on the Student Grant Scheme and other important information see the Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) website.
Other sources of information on student finance include:
Back to Education Allowance
If you are unemployed, parenting alone or have a disability and are getting certain payments from the Department of Social Protection, you may take part in a second or third level education course and get a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA).
It is important to note that you cannot get the BTEA and the maintenance component of a student grant together.
In order to get the BTEA when going to college, you must accept your place on a full-time course, and then notify the Department of Social Protection by filling out the BTEA application form. Further information can be found at Citizens Information
UK Student Loan Grant Scheme
The financial help available to a UK undergraduate student depends on:
- Which devolved authority they apply to for financial support
- Their course
- Where they live while studying
- Their individual circumstances
Types of help for new full-time undergraduate higher education students include:
- Tuition Fee Loans to cover the full cost of tuition fees
- Maintenance Loans to cover living costs
- Grants to cover living costs
- Bursaries and scholarships from universities and colleges
- Students can also get extra support if they have children or adult dependents, or a disability or a specific learning difficulty
For more information see www.studentfinanceni.co.uk
Other Financial Assistance
There are two funds in GMIT available to help students who find themselves in financial difficulty.
1. The Student Assistance Fund (SAF) is designed to help students from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds with ongoing needs for financial support and students with other circumstances.
2. The Student Support Fund (SSF) is a limited college fund open to all students.
For further information about either of these funds, please email SAF@gmit.ie