If you want to apply to enter the first year of any of the following types of courses, you need to apply through the Central Applications Office (CAO):
- Higher Certificate (Level 6)
- Ordinary Degree (Level 7)
- Honours Degree (Level 8)
This applies to all different types of applicants;
- Those presenting with Leaving Certificate results
- Those presenting with QQI/FETAC Awards
- Those presenting with European or Non-European Qualifications
- Mature Students
The following information may help:
1. New Leaving Cert Points Scale
Find out about the new Leaving Certificate Grading Scale and Revised Common Points Scale applicable to students who sit the Leaving Certificate from 2017.
2. CAO Application Process
Read a summary of the major stages of the CAO application process (CAO website).
|KEY CAO DATES 2017/18|
|Normal closing date for applications|
|Closing date for amending course choices|
|Closing date for late applications|
|Change of Mind facility becomes available|
|Change of Mind closes|
|Round A offers for certain Non-Standard Applicants (e.g. mature)|
|Exceptional closing date for those currently registered in HEIs|
|Current year Leaving Certificate results issued|
|Round 1 offers issued|
|Round 1 offers acceptance closing date|
|Round 2 offers issued|
|CAO offer season ends|
3. Mature Students
There are three separate entry routes by which mature students may enter GMIT:
- Through CAO using a previous qualification: Leaving Certificate, Fetac Level 5 or 6 in competition with all other entrants on points. Place awarded in August.
- Through the CAO using the mature students route as a special category: Candidates must be 23 on the 1st of January in the year of entry to the course, applying through the CAO and filling in pages 3 and 4 of the application form.
- Through successful completion of one of the Access courses run by NUIG and GMIT, followed by an interview with each Mature Student.
- Don’t have to meet the Leaving Certificate entry requirements/points.
- Are considered on an individual basis (previous education, work experience and demonstration of ability and competence to undertake the programme).
- May be invited for interview which will be used to rank applicants where demand exceeds available places.
Central Applications Office (CAO)
Tel: +353 (0)91 509800
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)
Phone: +353 (0)91 742305