Bachelor of Arts in Culture and EnvironmentMayo Campus
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
Entry Requirements: The minimum Leaving Certificate entry requirement for all ab initio Bachelor degrees (Level 7) is Grade O6/H7 or better in five Leaving Certificate subjects including Mathematics and English or Irish with a minimum of 160
CAO Round 1 Points: 160 (2019)
This qualification provides graduates with vital skills for the job market in the cultural, environmental and tourism sectors. It provides students with a detailed knowledge of our culture (including history, archaeology, folklore and literature) and environment (including geology, ecology and the natural environment). It provides them with knowledge and skill required to work in tourism enterprises.
The cultural industries and the green economy are key growth sectors in Ireland and internationally.
You will learn in many different ways in the classroom, in our customised lab and through fieldtrips.
Our students are actively involved in the Green Campus initiative and contributed to the Mayo Campus being the first IT campus in Ireland to be awarded the Green Flag. We were also the first third level college in Ireland to be awarded the Green Flag for biodiversity.
Studying Culture and Environment programmes in GMIT Mayo Campus will allow you to:
- Acquire key professional skills valued by employers
- Acquire transferrable skills in digital media and communications
- Prepare for a career in the fields of culture, environment and tourism
- Gain employment in the public or private sector
- Become self-employed
- Progress to study at Master’s and Doctoral Level
*** Download our brochure here (PDF, 1.52MB)***
Programme modules may include the following:
- Irish History
- Folklore, Folklife & Oral History
- Earth Science
- Rural Development
- Learning & Innovation Skills
- PC Applications
- Electives (Language or Business)
- Natural Environment
- Society and Nature
- Introduction to Digital Media
- Work Experience
- Local History Genealogy
- Archaeology: Prehistoric
- Medieval Archaeology
- Electives (Language or Business)
- Archaeology: Settlement
- Sustainable Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Research Methods
- Digital Mapping
- Electives (European History or Language or Business)
Students can chose between elective streams in:
- Language (one of Spanish, German, Irish, French) or
- Business and Enterprise.
This programme will prepare you for careers which may include but are not limited to:
- Education Officer
- Environmental Conservation Officer
- Museum Curator
- Library and Archives Assistant
- Rural Recreation Office
- Green Schools’ Officer
- Museum Documentation Assistant
- Tourism Officer
- Rural and Community Development Officer
* Graduates who wish to qualify as a secondary school teacher must complete the Professional Master of Education programme.
You may continue your studies at GMIT Mayo Campus and gain an honours degree in History and Geography. More details here.
There are many other programmes available to you after you complete this programme both in GMIT and at other institutes and universities in Ireland and elsewhere.
Upon completion of their Level 8 Honours degree, graduates may progress to undertake further study at Masters and Doctoral level in Ireland and abroad in areas including Environmental Management, Geographical Information Systems, Archaeology and History.
DID YOU KNOW?
Students undertake a range of fieldtrips in Mayo and around Ireland. There are also optional study trips abroad.
In the past, our students have travelled to cities including:
Find our more about our programme on our Facebook page.
Dr Fiona White
+353 (0)94 904 3216
Email: Fiona White