Bachelor of Business in Hotel and Catering Management
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 160 (2020)
This award provides graduates with the skills and competencies to manage/operate medium-sized enterprises within the hospitality and tourism industry.
A number of modules are covered on this programme including:
- Accommodation Operations (PDF 299KB)
- Communications & Customer Care (PDF 309KB)
- Culinary Skills (PDF 308KB)
- Food & Beverage Skills & Services (PDF 308KB)
- Food Safety (PDF 302KB)
- Information Technology Introduction (PDF 302KB)
- Introduction to the Tourism & Hospitality Industry (PDF 306KB)
- Introduction to Accounting & Business Management (PDF 302KB)
- Learning & Innovation Skills (PDF 315KB)
- Advanced Food & Beverage Skills & Services (PDF 305KB)
- Culinary Skills 2 (PDF 304KB)
- Financial Accounting (PDF 299KB)
- Food & Beverage Management (PDF 306KB)
- Front Office Operations (PDF 302KB)
- Information Technology Comprehensive (PDF 300KB)
- Introduction to Hospitality Law (PDF 307KB)
- Management Accounting (PDF 309KB)
- Management Principles (PDF 307KB)
- Marketing Principles (PDF 304KB)
Environmental Tourism (PDF 306KB); French 2A (PDF 299KB); French 2B (PDF 300KB); Gaeilge 2A (PDF 305KB); Gaeilge 2B (PDF 305KB); German 2A (PDF 311KB); German 2B (PDF 314KB); International Tourism (PDF 303KB); Nutrition (PDF 295KB); Spanish 2A (PDF 305KB); Spanish 2B (PDF 305KB); Train the Trainer (PDF 299KB); Wine Studies 1 (PDFV 297KB); Wine Studies 2 (PDF 299KB)
- Economics (PDF 302KB)
- Entrepreneurship (PDF 301KB)
- Financial Management (PDF 299KB)
- Human Resource Management (PDF 306KB)
- Industry Work Placement (PDF 301KB)
- Services Marketing (PDFV 301KB)
Conference & Banqueting (PDF 295KB); Contemporary Tourism (PDF 309KB); Food & Wine Appreciation (PDF 309KB); French 3B (PDF 299KB); Gaeilge 3B (PDF 307KB); German 3B (PDF 310KB); Social & Multimedia Technologies (PDF 302KB); Spanish 3B (PDF 305KB); Strategic Management for Hospitality (PDF 310KB)
Graduates often begin their careers at supervisory level in hospitality and tourism establishments and progress to general management or ownership. The focus of this business award is to provide key business knowledge, practical skills and a clear understanding of how the industry operates in its many different forms.
Graduates may progress to the to the final year of the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Hotel and Catering Management at this Institute.
- At the end of year one, there is a twelve week work placement in an Irish hotel or other approved property, organised by the LINKS office in conjunction with the student.
- In year two, students undertake a thirty week industrial placement which begins in January of the academic year. This placement is organised by the LINKS office in conjunction with the student. Irish and European students must complete their placement outside of Ireland and non- EU students will complete their placement in Ireland. Students must complete this placement in order to progress to their final year of study. Students are supported and monitored during their placement.
- If students are considering an international career, the College would encourage students to study an international language during their three years of study and to complete their international placement in a location that supports the development of the language.
- Formal relationships exist with EU and American universities and these provide for exciting opportunities to study and work abroad during the second placement.
The College has extensive international links with hotels, tourism organisations and educational organisations. In addition, the college is an active member of various hotel college associations including the Association of European Hotel & Tourism schools (AEHT) and the Council for Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE).
View Student Costs for First Years (PDF).
Head of Department of Culinary Arts & Services Industries
Email: Jacinta Dalton
Phone: +353 (0)91 742320