Dairy Chef - Finalists Announced
Date: Monday, January 27, 2020
The Dairy Chef jury met on the 13th of January to select the ten laureates who will gather in Galway for the third final of the Franco-Irish competition.
The competition will be assessed this year by famous chefs, highlighting the thriving food culture in Galway and Mayo. Paula Stakelum, pastry chef at Ashford Castle, and JP McMahon owner of restaurants and cafés in Galway city, including Michelin starred Aniar, will be in attendance.
They will be joined by Sonia Ezgulian, chef, author and journalist in Lyon, the Embassy of France in Ireland, the National Dairy Council (NDC), the Centre Interprofessionnel de l’Economie Laitière (Cniel), the Embassy of Ireland in France, the Higher Education Authority and Campus France.
Students have submitted three-course menus based on dairy produce and inspired by the theme Meitheal. Ten finalists have been selected from 22 candidates.
- Team 1: Marcin Wisniewski from Kerry College of Further Education and Training and Théo Vermeulen from Lycée Hôtelier de La Rochelle
- Team 2: Sophie Walsh from Cork Institute of Technology and Florentin Gamelin from CFA Eugénie Brazier
- Team 3: Niamh Kelly from Cork Institute of Technology and Alan Berrivin from Faculté des Métiers du CFA de la CCI d’Ille et Vilaine
- Team 4: Daniel Lambert from Letterkenny Institute of Technology and Florent Teillet from Lycée Biarritz Atlantique
- Team 5: Tiago Souza Capeletti from Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology and Etienne Alison from CFA Médéric
The five teams have two months to prepare the menu they will cook on Wednesday the 1st of April 2020 in the kitchens of the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), Galway campus.
The cook-off will officially open the fifth FICAHT Forum, taking place until the 4th of April in Galway.
The winners will get a chance to do an internship in one of the restaurants represented in the jury: Ashford Castle, Aniar and the kitchen of the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.