Human Nutrition and Metabolism (Jobs Stimulus Programme)
Discipline: Life and Physical Sciences
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Free to unemployed applicants. €74 to employed applicants (€662 funded by HEA)
This module provides a detailed examination of the nutrients required by humans throughout the life cycle, their sources in food and in the Irish diet, with a critical assessment of recommended dietary allowances (RDAs).
It also studies biochemical aspects of nutrition, together with nutrient requirements, growth and development at key stages of the life cycle.
Human Nutrition and Metabolism - 10 ECTS Credits
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
- Understand the nature and contribution of diet and nutrition to maintenance of essential metabolic processes.
- Understand the changing nutritional requirements through periods of growth, development and activity.
- Explain the physiological and biochemical processes associated with digestion and metabolism of food.
- Examine the protective roles of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory dietary components in health and chronic disease.
- Interpret and critically evaluate the scientific literature.
- Exhibit problem-based learning skills and the ability to apply scientific knowledge to nutrition-related scenarios.
- Apply the main biochemical, clinical and physical measures for assessing nutritional status and the signs and symptoms of micronutrient inadequacy and/or deficiency.
Go to www.gmit.ie/jobs-stimulus to:
- confirm if you are eligible to apply under the Jobs Stimulus initiative
- check if you meet the academic "Entry Requirements" for this level of module
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from Monday, 16th November 2020.
Read the Jobs Stimulus Online Admissions User Guide for step-by-step instructions BEFORE logging on to our online admissions system at the ‘Apply Here’ link below.
Note: On the online admissions system, you will find this module under the Application Type JS- Public Health Nutrition.
Apply here (Online Admissions System)
Start date: 03/05/2021
End date: 17/05/2021
Head of Department
Dr Lisa Ryan
Email: Dr. Lisa Ryan