Nutrition, Physical Activity and Health (Jobs Stimulus Module)
Discipline: Life and Physical Sciences
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 6
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Free to unemployed applicants. €37 to employed applicants (€331 funded by HEA)
This module has been designed to provide students with a detailed examination of the relationship between nutrition, physical activity, health and disease in humans. In particular, the influence of diet and physical activity on cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and obesity will be considered along with counselling and goal-setting for diet, nutrition and exercise.
Nutrition, Physical Activity and Health - 5 ECTS Credits
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
1. Explain the role of physical activity and nutrition in the prevention and treatment of disease and have a sound understanding of key research that underpins this relationship.
2. Explain, with an evidence-based argument, the dietary factors necessary to elicit an improvement in risk factors associated with a variety of diseases.
3. Provide a detailed explanation of the different nutritional and physical activity requirements for healthy living in humans, according to life stage, sex and health status.
4. Provide a detailed evidence-based description of the influence of genetic and environmental factors on the effectiveness of physical activity and nutritional interventions for healthy living.
5. Demonstrate autonomous use of specialist knowledge databases to develop novel approaches to challenges associated with physical activity and nutrition strategies for healthy living.
6. Evaluate the likely effectiveness of contemporary physical activity and nutrition recommendations to affect workplace or community health promotion interventions.
Go to www.gmit.ie/jobs-stimulus to:
- confirm if you are eligible to apply under the Jobs Stimulus initiative
- check if you meet the academic "Entry Requirements" for this level of module
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from Monday, 16th November 2020.
Read the Jobs Stimulus Online Admissions User Guide for step-by-step instructions BEFORE logging on to our online admissions system at the ‘Apply Here’ link below.
Note: On the online admissions system, you will find this module under the Application Type JS- Public Health Nutrition.
Apply here (Online Admissions System)
Start date: 18/01/2021
End date: 30/0642021
Head of Department
Email: Dr. Lisa Ryan