Nutrition through the Life Cycle (Jobs Stimulus Module)
Discipline: Life and Physical Sciences
NFQ Level: 7
Mode of Study: Online delivery
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Free to unemployed applicants. €68 to employed applicants (€608 funded by HEA)
This module focuses on health behaviours, growth and development, physical activity and nutritional requirements for groups across the lifespan from infancy to old age. It will focus on normal nutrition, physiology, physical activity and growth and development for lifespan groups and vulnerable groups.
Nutrition through the Life Cycle - 10 ECTS Credits
The module will draw on principles from psychology that will allow students to understand how health beliefs, illness and other factors impact on actions. Concepts of health education and promotion will enhance students’ knowledge and ability to communicate nutrition messages effectively to groups.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
- Discuss and apply a sound understanding of the physiological and biochemical reasons for the varying nutrient requirements of specific groups within the population.
- Develop skills in integrating knowledge into practice consistent with best available evidence in nutritional needs and health education of groups.
- Understand how psychological, cultural, personal, economic and social factors influence health behaviours.
- Critically evaluate the principles behind the recommended nutrient requirements.
- Apply the knowledge of health education, nutrition and human behaviour to describe, develop and evaluate education resource material.
- Appraise and review published work in nutrition and evaluate sometimes conflicting information and investigate and identify reasons for the conflict. Construct and present a reasoned argument.
Go to www.gmit.ie/jobs-stimulus to:
- confirm if you are eligible to apply under the Jobs Stimulus initiative
- check if you meet the academic "Entry Requirements" for this level of module
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from Monday, 16th November 2020.
Read the Jobs Stimulus Online Admissions User Guide for step-by-step instructions BEFORE logging on to our online admissions system at the ‘Apply Here’ link below.
Note: On the online admissions system, you will find this module under the Application Type JS- Public Health Nutrition.
Apply here (Online Admissions System)
Start date: 17/05/2021
End date: 28/05/2021
Head of Department
Dr. Lisa Ryan