Certificate in Law and Human Resource Management (10 credits) - MAYOThis module will introduce learners to the fundamental principles of law and human resource management. This course involves approximately 2 days per month attendance at our Mayo Campus in addition to online delivery.
This module introduces learners to the fundamental principles of Law and Human Resource Management. The module familiarises students with sources of law, and illustrates how it provides the legal framework for the business environment. The module also familiarises learners with the fundamentals of Human Resource Management. The introduction to Law in the first part of the module will provide an essential context for the manner in which Human Resource Management is delivered.
This course will be delivered at the GMIT Mayo campus over one day per month from January to May 2017 (five days, 9am-4pm).
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to
- Appreciate the role of law in business, its relevance to the working world, and have a sensitivity to legal considerations in decision making at work.
- Classify and describe the sources of law, legal institutions and the roles of legal professionals.
- Evaluate the legal considerations in business decision making and to have to have a sensitivity to the employment law issues arising in the working environment.
- Explain the development of human resource management theory and how theory informs practice.
- Explain how the internal and external business environment influences human resource management, and in particular how law frames HR practice.
- Evaluate how effective HR practice contibutes to the achievement of organisational objectives.
Sources of Irish Law & Legal Institutions
- International Law
- European Union Law
- Constitutional Law
- Common Law
- Structure of The Irish Legal System
- Courts structure
- Injuries Board
- Legal Personnel: Judges, Barristers, Solicitors.
Law of Civil Obligations
- Nature, form and elements of contracts
- Terms of a contract
- Types of contract
- Invalid contracts
- Remedies for breach of contract
- Law of Torts
- Nature of tort liability
- Principles of duty of care and standard of care
- Tort of negligence
- Vicarious liability.
Introduction to Employment Law
- The Contract of Employment
- Legislative Protection of the Employee
- Law on Dismissal and Grievance
- Equality Law
- Dignity at work policies.
Introduction to Human Resource Management
Historical and contextual development of HRM
- The functions of HRM
- Recruitment & Selection
- Training Learning & Development
- Performance Management
- Reward Management
- Industrial Relations
- Employee Relations.
- The development of HRM theory
- Application of HRM theory
- How theory informs practice
- Best practice v's best fit
- Performance indicators
Human Resources and Employment Law Environment
- The role of Employment Law in HR Practice
The Achievement of Organisational Objectives
- How the HR function contributes to the development and implementation of business strategy, HRM as a strategic partner.
This 10 credit module is part of a larger 60 credit Certificate in Supervisory Management.
Students can accumulate credits towards the larger award by undertaking and successfully passing the other modules in the programme namely:
- Management for Supervisors
- Financial & Economic Environment
- Managing Operations and Work Based Project
Other Essential Information:
- Induction will take place on 17th and 18th September.
- Classes are scheduled from 9:00am to 4:15pm on the following dates: 30th September, 21st October, 11th November, 16th December
- To apply complete and return the application form available here.
- Closing date for receipt of applications is 9th September, with decision as to feasibility being made by 16th September.
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Category: Part-time Accredited
Phone: + 353 (0) 94 904 3197 / 087 6363326
eMail: Clodagh Geraghty
Location: Mayo campus, Castlebar
Programme Duration: 30 Weeks