Certificate in Data Modelling, Analysis and Visualisation (Special Purpose Award)GMIT Mayo campus, Castlebar is offering a 10-credit Certificate in Business in Data Modelling, Analysis and Visualisation (Special Purpose Award) starting in January 2019, 1-year duration
This programme is for existing and prospective business users such as data analysts, business decision makers and information workers to upgrade existing skills to leverage Microsoft products such as Access 2016 to capture and manage data and Excel 2016, Power BI (Desktop and Cloud) and SharePoint Online as a Self-Service Business Intelligence Platform that analyses, visualises and shares data.
The power of Access and Excel 2016 plus Power BI in allowing users to be independent of IT and Database Administration is untapped.
This course will:
- Highlight the functions of an Online Transaction Processing System
- Develop the students knowledge and ability in relational database design, development, .
- Develop the students ability in Structured Query Language
- Enable learners with no specialised Business Intelligence or Analytics training to:
- Understand the functions of an Online Analytical Processing System
- Use built-in data mash-up features though Extract, Transform and Load
- Develop data models and calculations for analysis
- Provide intuitive interactive operational and ad hoc reports and dashboards with content appropriate visualisations to give insights from the data model
- Publish, protect and share all the above within the organisation
- Database Management Systems (5 credits)
- Business Intelligence Software (5 credits)
- Describe the differences between transactional and analytical IT systems
- Display knowledge and ability in relational database design and development
- Identify ETL (Extract, Transform & Load) as a Data Discovery and Data Mash-up vehicle
- Recognise and reproduce the techniques needed for operational reports on what is happening and dashboard insights into what happened
- Identify real-world problems that are well suited to data capture, modelling, analysis and visualisation.
- Recognise, understand and appreciate capabilities, techniques and limitations of Business Intelligence software
- Employ the techniques, skills and knowledge needed for data capture, modelling, analysis and reporting/visualisation.
- Recognise, illustrate and apply the processes used in previous project implementations to future ones.
- Identify and select appropriate data capture, analysis and visualisation techniques in a range of real-world contexts.
- Organise and supervise projects and processes undertaken
- Combine best practice in the fields of data management and business intelligence
- Act using diagnostic skills in a range of data-focused contexts
- Listen and take direction, accept criticism and use feedback to enhance own performance and that of others
- Embrace self-direction in terms of time, motivation and planning; and self-awareness to be open and sensitive to others
- Integrate new skills and techniques through online learning.
- Critique the ways in which data management and analysis impacts on business operations
- Recommend an appropriate course of action based on Business Intelligence reporting
- Challenge their role to advance their careers and contribute to the organisation
- Create new databases, create databases using templates, create databases in older formats, create databases using wizards
- Edit references between tables, create and modify relationships, set primary key fields, enforce referential integrity, set foreign keys,view relationships
- Navigate to specific records, set a form as the startup option, use navigation forms, set navigation options, change views
- Create new tables, import external data into tables, create linked tables from external sources, import tables from other database, create tables from templates and application parts
- Hide fields in tables, change data formats, add total rows, add table descriptions, rename tables
- Update records, add new records, delete records, append records from external data, find and replace data, sort records, filter records,group records
- Add fields to tables, add a validation rules to fields, change field captions, change field sizes, change field data types, configure fields toauto-increment, set default values, use input masks, delete fields
- Run queries, create crosstab queries, create parameter queries, create action queries, create multi-table queries, save queries, delete queries
- Rename queries, add new fields, remove fields, hide fields, sort data within queries, format fields within queries
- Add calculated fields, add conditional logic, group and summarize data, use comparison operators, use basic operators
- Create new forms, create forms with application parts, save forms, delete forms
- Move form controls, add form controls, modify data sources, remove form controls, set form control properties, manage labels
- Modify tab order in forms, format print layouts, sort records, apply themes, change margins, insert backgrounds, auto-order forms, insert headers and footers, insert images, modify existing forms
- Create new reports, create reports with application parts, delete reports
- Group data by fields, sort data, add sub-forms, modify data sources, add report controls, manage labels
- Format reports into multiple columns, add calculated fields, set margins, add backgrounds, change report orientation, change sort order,insert headers and footers, insert images, insert page numbers, apply themes, modify existing reports
- Introduction to Transaction Management Systems
- Access, define, and manipulate data using SQL.
From May 2018 Springboard+ offers 8,088 free places on 245 courses leading to awards at certificate, degree and post-graduate level. The majority of courses are part-time for a maximum of 12 months and are open to all eligible applicants regardless of their employment status.
The following are eligible to apply for courses in 2018/19 academic year (subject to the applicant meeting all residency and nationality/visa requirements and any academic requirements):
Returners (Formerly referred to as Homemakers)
May apply to all courses if they meet the nationality/visa requirement and residency criteria. Course specific criteria may also apply.
People in employment
May apply to all courses if they meet the nationality/visa requirement and residency criteria.
Please note that a 10% course fee contribution for Level 7, 8, and 9 courses is applicable for employed participants. This is payable directly to the provider.
The unemployed or formerly self-employed
All courses are open to these category of applicants, with the exception of the two-year part-time ICT conversion courses which are not open to those in receipt of a Jobseekers-related payment
Please note that documentation supporting the applicants status will be required as part of the application process.
Full fee is €1,000.
For people in employment please note that a 10% course fee contribution (€100) for this course is applicable (the remaining 90% is paid by Springboard) and this is payable directly to the provider.
For unemployed or formerly self-employed there is a zero fee payable (current proof is required) - https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
NFQ Level: 7
Category: Springboard/ICT Skills
Lifelong Learning Office at GMIT Mayo Campus - LLLMayo@gmit.ie or 094-9043156
Programme Duration: One year