Geographical Information Systems (GIS)5 Credit, Single Accredited Module, Level 8 - Semester I commencing in September 2020
The objective of this module is to provide students with a basic theoretical and practical understanding of spatial data management through the use of Geographical Information Systems
On successful completion of this module the learner will/should be able to
- Have an understanding of the theoretical basis of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Have knowledge of how data is structured and managed by databases with particular reference to spatial databases.
- Have experience in the use of standard GIS software packages used in the cultural, historical and environmental sectors.
- Be capable of working independently with various types of spatial data.
- GIS fundamentals
- Components of a GIS
- GIS case studies
- Examination of the types of questions a GIS can answer
- Overview of GIS software
- Vector and raster data models, file formats and databases
- Attribute data management
- Map symbolisation
- Building a GIS; vector data capture, creation, import, conversion and editing
- Coordinate reference systems
- Map layout principles
- Building a static map
- Review of Spatial data availability
- Web Map Services and Web Feature Services
- Spatial data queries
Other Essential Information:
Duration: 3 hours/week
Time: To be advised
Start: September 2020
How to Apply
Application for the module is made direct to the Institute. Please click here to download an application form.
GMIT is planning for blended delivery to be the normal mode of learning and teaching for Semester 1 and possibly all of the 2020-2021 academic year. Lifelong learning programmes are planned with "remote delivery" of classes, and this will be done within existing blended programme delivery models and times. This will also allow for some level of classroom delivery if Covid-19 restrictions allow later the academic year.
GMIT will continue to adhere to Government guidelines to ensure the safety of students, staff and the wider community.
NFQ Level: 8
Category: Single Subject
Programme Duration: 15 Weeks