Special Purpose Award in Traditional SignwritingThe Lifelong Learning Department of GMIT Mayo is offering this 10-credit 26-week module (September 2020)
This module is a practical introduction to the craft of traditional signwriting and hand-lettering, aimed at life-long learners.
It is designed to develop skills that are applicable in commercial and community contexts.
On completion of this module, you will/should;
- Have the ability to design traditional painted signs, chalkboards and other hand-lettered projects.
- Have the technical competence to paint and write traditional signs, chalkboards and other hand-lettering projects.
- Be able to catalogue a body of work and demonstrate project documentation skills.
- Have a basic understanding of the essentials of design and lettering.
- Develop your professional working practices in the producton and presentation of sign and lettering projects.
You will learn about the following:
- Letters: development of the alphabet and typography; legibility; methods of drawing letters; weight, style and spacing.
- Drawing: geometrical drawing; preparing full-size drawings; heraldry.
- Colour: the colour wheel, the Munsell colour system; the British standard colour chart; colour and legibility.
- Coatings: composition; mediums, thinners, pigments, driers; handling and storage.
- Signwriting: tools, their use and care; the signwriting process; brush control and the mahlstick; writing signs on wood, render and glass.
- Chalkboard projects: setting out, chalks, soft pastels and wet-wipe markers.
- Costing sign, chalkboard and hand-lettering projects and presenting quotations, specifications and drawings.
- Presentation of sign and other hand-lettering projects, including on social media.
A complete list of materials and equipment required by the students for this module will be provided prior to the commencement of the course.
There are no entry requirements for this Special Purpose Award
Other Essential Information:
How to Apply
***Applications can be made online at https://apply.gmit.ie Please select application type M6***.
This user guide contains step by step instructions on how to create and submit an online application.
If you have any queries on this please email LLLMayo@gmit.ie
The cost of this module is €540.
An instalment plan is avalable on request from the Lifelong Learning Office (094-9043156 or LLLMayo@gmit.ie).