Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sport and Exercise ScienceThis new, four year, honours degree prepares graduates to work in the growing areas of sport performance and health-related exercise science.
Discipline: Natural Sciences
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Four years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 350 (2019)
This exciting new degree is the first of its kind in the West of Ireland.
On this course, you will learn how to apply scientific principles in order to understand and enhance sport and exercise performance, health and well-being.
It will prepare you to work in the world of sport, helping athletes and teams achieve optimum performance. It will also prepare you to work the health sector, helping individuals to manage or prevent lifestyle-related chronic diseases through training and physical activity.
Modules include the following:
- Fundamentals of Biomechanics and Anatomy
- Cell Biology/Genetics
- Human Physiology
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Human Nutrition and Metabolism
- The Biomechanics of Human Movement
- Nutrition, Physical Activity and Health
- Introduction to Sports Psychology
- Exercise Instruction
- Research Methods for Sport and Exercise Science
- Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
- Sport and Exercise Pedagogies
- Advanced Laboratory Techniques for Sport and Exercise Science
- Applied Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- Sport and Exercise Prescription and Training
- Sports Management
- Contemporary Issues in Sport and Exercise Science
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Current Research in Sport, Exercise and Nutrition
- Research Project in Sport and Exercise Science*
- Professional Skills in Sport and Exercise Science*
“The demand for sport scientists is growing in line with the ever-increasing focus within the sporting world on achieving the best results possible.” Smart Futures
Graduates will be able to work in areas such as:
- professional sports clubs and organisations
- national sporting associations, governing bodies and other related sporting agencies
- private health and fitness clubs and spas
- public sports and recreation facilities
- local authorities
- schools, further education and higher education institutions
- exercise referrals
- the health sector
The BSc in Sport and Exercise Science is designed to fulfil the initial requirements for the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) accreditation.
BASES is an internationally recognised standard, leading to exciting and varied career opportunities for graduates.
Graduates will also be eligible to pursue research MSc/PhD programmes in Sport and Exercise Science and related areas as well as taught master’s programmes in cognate areas.
GMIT intends to develop in-house taught master’s programmes for Sport and Exercise Science graduates.
Dr Lisa Ryan
Head of Department
Phone: +353 (0)91 742556
eMail: Lisa Ryan