Evaluating the Evidence for Public Health Nutrition (Jobs Stimulus Module)
Discipline: Natural Sciences
NFQ Level: 6
Mode of Study: Online delivery
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Free to unemployed applicants. €74 to employed applicants (€662 funded by HEA)
This module will introduce students to epidemiology and biostatistics as the core of population health and public health nutrition research and practice. Emphasis will be placed on a population view of health, nutrition and disease and the social determinants of health. A key focus will be the application of epidemiology and statistics in the assessment of disease in populations and the effects of nutrition interventions.
Evaluating the Evidence for Public Health Nutrition - 10 ECTS Credits
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
- Interpret the demographics of the Irish population including minority and disadvantaged groups.
- Summarise the Irish health system and the political system and its operation at a national and local level and outline the major bodies that provide government with scientific advice relating to food and health.
- Identify and describe the main socio-cultural, economic, environmental and political determinants of health.
- Define public health and discuss the origins and nature of public health as a discipline.
- Explain and compare the main study designs used in population health and nutrition research and explain the findings of key population health studies on the relationship between diet and chronic disease.
- Explain common methods used to survey the nutrient intake and the nutritional status of populations.
- Search the scientific literature related to common questions on nutrition and health and perform basic methods of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
Go to www.gmit.ie/jobs-stimulus to:
- confirm if you are eligible to apply under the Jobs Stimulus initiative
- check if you meet the academic "Entry Requirements" for this level of module
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from Monday, 16th November 2020.
Read the Jobs Stimulus Online Admissions User Guide for step-by-step instructions BEFORE logging on to our online admissions system at the ‘Apply Here’ link below.
Note: On the online admissions system, you will find this module under the Application Type JS- Public Health Nutrition.
Apply here (Online Admissions System)
Start date: 18/01/2021
End date: 30/04/2021
Dr. Lisa Ryan