International MSc in Marine Biological ResourcesTwo year taught International MSc programme covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources
Discipline: Natural Sciences
NFQ Level: 9
Programme Duration: Two years
Mode of Study: Full time
Entry Requirements: See "Essential Information" below
This is a unique opportunity to study at a choice of nine European universities and receive one joint degree, while gaining access to Europe's top marine research institutes.
As a student on this exciting Masters programme, you will have the opportunity to:
- Be part of an international student community
- Experience the diversity of European marine ecosystems
- Choose a thematic specialization fit to your own personal interests
- Gain valuable skills through extensive practical and laboratory training
- Present your thesis at an international open symposium
- Research projects as an integral part of your study programme
- Participate in a 10-day field research project during the IMBRSea Joint School
About the International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea)
The two-year taught MSc programme, the International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master programme organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences.
IMBRSea covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources.
With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
The International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master programme organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences:
- Ghent University (BE)
- Sorbonne Université (FR)
- University of the Algarve (PT)
- University of Oviedo (ES)
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (IE)
- University of the Basque Country (ES)
- Polytechnic University of Marche (IT)
- University of Bergen (NO)
- Université de Bretagne Occidentale (FR)
- Université Côte d'Azur (FR)
It is supported by fourteen Marine Research Institutes belonging to the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC).
Based on the objectives of the EMBRC consortium, IMBRSea covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources. With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
IMBRSea covers a range of subjects within marine science and marine biological resources. With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
Topics are covered through Thematic Modules in Specialization Tracks to prepare the next generation of scientists who need to understand the marine ecosystem functioning and conservation of biodiversity to work in biological resources exploitation and management.
IMBRSea offers a unique combination of Courses, Annual Symposia, Professional Practices and Thesis subjects in an integrated program to learn how to develop blue biotechnologies in a sustainable way.
Common Elements (Compulsory)
- Fundamentals module (30 ECTS)
- Professional Practice (12 ECTS)
- Joint Summer School (6 ECTS)
- Thesis Preparation (6 ECTS)
- Thesis (30 ECTS)
- Annual Symposium
Specialization tracks (choose one)
- Marine Food Production
- Management of Living Marine Resources
- Applied Marine Ecology and Conservation
- Marine Environment Health
- Global Ocean Changes
For further details on each element, go to the IMBRSea Study Programme webpage (External link)
The IMBRSea programme will prepare you for a broad range of careers from academic marine research to working within industry, governmental or non-governmental organisations.
Potential roles include:
- Fisheries biologist
- Marine consultant
- Ocean and coastal policy coordinator
- Contract scientific diver
- Marine biologist
- Marine park manager
Level: 120 ECTS taught MSc, Irish NQF Level 9, European EQF Level 5
Duration: 2 years, starts September
Ireland, Spain, France, Norway, Italy, Belgium, Portugal
A prerequisite for admission is that applicants have a Bachelor (or Master) degree in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, oceanography, marine sciences, geography, geology, veterinary medicine or other equivalent degrees with minimum 180 credits (3 years).
Knowledge of the English language is considered as a basic requirement.
All students must provide evidence of their proficiency in English through one of the following documents (not older than 2 years at the application deadline)
- A recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 87 points (internet based)
- A recent IELTS Certificate: minimum score: 6.5
- A recent Certificate of a University Language Centre testifying that the student masters the necessary knowledge of English to function academically (specify CEF-level / minimum CEF-level B2)
- A recent Cambridge English certificate: Cambridge English First (FCE) - grade A or B
- A certificate proving that you have followed at least 1 year of higher education in English
Further details are available at the IMBRSea website (External link)
Fees & Scholarships:
Details concerning scholarships and fees are available on the IMBRSea website (External link)
The IMBRSea Consortium have made an agreement to organise the master programme in a way that fees for students that participate on a self-funding basis are kept as low as possible.
A reduction of €1000 euro per student per year to the actual participation costs was applied resulting in the following fees:
- €3500 per year for European citizens
- €4500 per year for non-European citizens
The annual tuition fees cover:
- Enrolment and tuition costs at universities of study
- Joint School costs: food, accommodation
- Annual Symposium costs: food, accommodation
Scholarships are available for both EU and non-EU students - click here for more information about Scholarships (External link).
To apply, please complete the following process on the IMBRSea website (External link).
For any queries about the application process please contact:
For any queries about the course please contact the course co-ordinator:
Dr Ian O’Connor