Certificate in Science in Computerised Systems and Data Quality for MedTech - SPRINGBOARD
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply through www.springboardcourses.ie
Entry Requirements: Level 7 Major Award in Engineering, Science or related disciplines
Free to unemployed. €250 to applicants in employment.
For full details on eligibility see www.springboarcourses.ie/eligibility
- The aim of this special purpose award is to provide students with the skills required to add value in an ever-evolving manufacturing environment (with a focus on medical device manufacture).
- All aspects of medical device manufacturing and quality management is becoming more and more dependent on automation. Software and automation are present everywhere in today’s manufacturing environment, from increasingly sophisticated equipment, to automated business process flows in ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems, and the management of a myriad of data from analytical test outputs to quality trend analysis and other management data.
- This course will cover the key area of validation of software and automated systems.
- There will be a significant emphasis on actual industry examples and opportunities for participants to practice what they learn in workshop-style classes and assignments.
- Validation documents will be created by the students and critiqued as they would be in industry, leaving the learner in a much more confident position to take up a validation role.
- Learners will also cover data and the importance of data integrity in a regulated environment.
- There is a well-documented increase in the regulatory focus on data and the management thereof. There will be a focus on the integrity of data.
- As there is much growth, development and innovation in this area, it is timely to include a module on Emerging Software Trends, which will cover topics, from the evolving definition of a medical device to include software; to innovations in machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- We have a highly experienced lecturing team and strong industry partnerships to support this module and the added benefits of guest lectures and real industry examples.
View the 2020/21 Course Brochure here
NOTE: This course is now closed for applications.
If approved under Springboard+, it will open for applications on www.springboardcourses.ie in May/ June 2021.
The start date if approved would be January 2022.
Eligibility criteria for Springboard courses can be viewed here (PDF)
- Software and Automated System Validation - download module details here (PDF)
- Data Use and Integrity - download module details here (PDF)
- Validation Project Management - download module details here (PDF)
- Emerging Software Trends - download module details here (PDF)
On successful completion of this programme the learner will/should be able to:
1. Appreciate all the dependancies on software and data throughout manufacturing and explain the integration points of validation across a Quality Management System.
2. Have knowledge of software development life cycles, for software, computerised systems and automated systems within in a manufacturing context.
3. Explore the application of advancing technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning in medical device development and manufacturing.
4. Transform software and data quality regulatory requirements into practical and useable procedures and tools for a pragmatic approach to regulatory compliance.
5. Plan a validation project, including boundary definition, assignment of specific responsibilities, activity planning, ensuring stake-holder buy-in.
6. Research complex emerging technologies and trends within the Medtech software area.
7. Understand the regulator’s / auditor’s perspective on advancing application of software and data in the context of healthcare.
8. Create planning, specification and verification documents individually and as part of a multi-disciplinary teams.
9. Reflect on emerging Medtech software trends and technologies explored with industry guests and develop ideas on future applicability.
Course Start Date
January 2022 if approved under Springboard+2021
Blended, a combination of classroom and online lectures (subject to health and social distancing rules)
Applications will be made through www.springboardcourses.ie
This programme is funded under the Human Capital Initiative Pillar 1, which is funded by the National Training Fund.
School: School of Science
Department: Department of Biopharmaceutical and Medical Science
Head of Department: Dr.Eugene McCarthy
Programme Chair Rita Woodings, email@example.com (contactable until end-June 2021
For application contact:
Department of Graduate Studies and Professional Development
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Phone : 085 805 3691 (Mon - Fri, 9-5)