As a small experiment we asked a cross-section of first year science and computing students what they expected out of their time in GMIT. Here's a sample of what they said:
- Have a better understanding of the subject area
- Possess good technical know-how
- Be attractive to employers
- Have a launch pad for further study
- Work in a team
We have tailored our programmes and the way we teach to meet these comments. Here are three examples to show how:
- We are introducing work placement, internship or projects based in the “real-world” into all of our programmes.
- We place a heavy reliance on practical skills (earlier years) and in working on projects (later years).
- We place increasing emphasis on teamworking and in written and oral communications in all of our programmes.