WHAT DO I NEED TO DO BEFORE I TRAVEL TO IRELAND?
There are important tasks and strict travel requirements for all international students that must be completed before you travel to Ireland.
You must have suitable accommodation secured for when you arrive in Ireland. Information about accommodation options is available online from GMIT’s Students’ Union on their accommodation portal.
Book your Airport Collection by completing the online Student Arrival Form.
If your travel plans change after submitting the arrival form, then you must complete the Travel Data Change Form.
Pack all important documents in your hand luggage.
Complete the Covid-19 Passenger Locator Form. You must bring an email copy of the receipt with you for presentation to the Immigration Officer at Dublin Airport.
STUDENT ARRIVAL FORM AND AIRPORT COLLECTIONS
All students must complete the Student Arrival Form at least 7 days before travelling.
This is required to support your arrival at GMIT and book your airport collection.
After submitting the form, if your travel plans change, you must complete the Travel Data Change Form.
This is a free service if you complete the arrival form.
AT THE AIRPORT
If you have completed the Student Arrival Form, the arrival team will have your details and will coordinate your transport to GMIT.
If you have not completed the arrival form, you must arrange and pay for your own travel.
There will be a dedicated Airport Collection ‘Meet and Greet’ Team to meet you at Dublin International Airport, in Terminal 1 and 2. They will be located after border control in the Arrivals Halls (after baggage collection).
The team will have logo/signs with ‘International Higher Education Students Greet & Transfer Service’ and will be wearing yellow jackets. The team will escort you to the transportation service to Galway.
- You must present yourself to the Airport Collection Team
- You must present a copy of your GMIT Offer Letter or GMIT Student Card
- You must bring a face mask
Airport Collections from Dublin Airport to Glásan Student Village, opposite GMIT will be available from August 1st to October 4th only. Additional transportation, where required has also been arranged to take you from Glásan Student Village to your specific accommodation in Galway.
PREPARE IMPORTANT DOCUMENTATION
You will need important documents for Border/Immigration Control and for your Airport Collection.
We recommend that students pack the following documents in their hand luggage:
- Visa or Irish Residence Permit (if applicable)
- Offer Letter from GMIT or GMIT Student Card
- Receipt of Tuition Fees Payment
- Confirmation of Accommodation
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Face Masks / Hand Sanitiser
- Proof of Vaccination (if applicable)
- Proof of Negative PCR Test (if applicable)
HSE COVID TESTING - POST ARRIVAL
For students who will need to complete a post-arrival Covid-19 RT-PCR test, you can book this online using the HSE Test Booking website.
- The test should be booked in advance of arrival in Ireland and must be booked for a date at least 5 days after arrival.
- The test is free of charge.
- In Galway, testing will occur at Galway Airport, Carnmore, Co. Galway H91 VWX2 and Galway City Centre Covid Test Centre, Forster Street, Galway H91 N1FD
- You must keep the written confirmation of your booking until you receive the results of your test.
- You must continue to quarantine while you await the results of your test or for 14 days after travel.
- You must retain the written confirmation of your test result for at least 14 days.
- If you do not fulfil the legal requirement for mandatory quarantine, you are committing an offence.
FOLLOW PUBLIC HEALTH GUIDANCE
You must follow all public health guidance to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. This includes:
- Washing your hands often
- Covering your mouth if coughing or sneezing
- Avoiding touching your face
- Keeping surfaces clean
- Not shaking hands or hugging
- Keeping a safe distance from others (2 metres)
- Wearing a face mask on public transport, in shops and other indoor settings
Further information is available online here.
COVID-19 PASSENGER LOCATOR FORM
You must complete the COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form before departing your home country.
You must bring an email copy of the receipt with you for presentation to the Immigration Officer at Dublin Airport.
COVID Tracker is a free app for your mobile phone launched by the Government of Ireland.
It will help slow the spread of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Further information is available online, where students can also download the App.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE COVID-19 SYMPTOMS WHILST IN IRELAND
If you have any common symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19), you SHOULD NOT ATTEND CAMPUS.
You should self-isolate and contact the GMIT Student Health Unit (contact details below) straight away and the Institute Nurse will advise the next course of action.
Student Health Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 091 742228 / 087 9971574 (Emergency Mobile Number)
University Hospital Galway Emergency Department (091) 544556 (for use outside normal college hours).
Additionally, you must notify GMIT immediately by emailing email@example.com or phoning 091 742708 if:
- A positive test outcome for COVID-19 has been issued by any healthcare provider and you are required to self-isolate.
- You have been identified as a contact and must self-isolate.
SIM CARDS – USING YOUR SMART PHONE IN IRELAND
You can choose to purchase a new phone when you arrive in Ireland, or you can use your existing phone with an Irish Sim Card. In this scenario you need to ensure your phone is unlocked before you leave your home country.
There are several mobile network providers in Ireland. They offer a range of different options and price plans. The main providers include 3 Mobile, Lyca Mobile, Eir, Tesco Mobile and
IMPORTANT LINKS AND RESOURCES
Covid-19 Travel Advice (Irish Government)
Public Health Guidance (Health Service Executive)
Covid-19 Tracker App (Irish Government)
Covid-19 Statistics and Updates (Irish Government)