Approaches to Archaeology 2: Ceramics History and the Study of Burials (Jobs Stimulus Module)
Discipline: Tourism, Hospitality, Heritage & Culinary Arts
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Mode of Study: Blended Learning
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Free to unemployed applicants. €53 to employed applicants (€469 funded by HEA)
This module focuses on two sub-disciplines of archaeology relating to the technological and cultural history of artifacts and the archaeology and anthropology of burials, as follows:
a) ceramics history: history of ceramic manufacture and use from Neolithic times to the present day with a particular focus on the ceramic history of Ireland;
b) the study of burials: the range and variety of burial practices in human societies from prehisotic to modern times and the methodologies used by archaeologists to recover information from burials.
Approaches to Archaeology 2: Ceramics History and the Study of Burials - 5 ECTS Credits
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
- Articulate on the role and value of ceramics for studying and understanding human societies, past and present;
- Display a knowledge of the principal ceramic styles and traditions in Ireland from prehistoric times to the present;
- Appreciate the value of ceramics as cultural and economic assets in modern societies.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the diversity of burial practices from prehistoric times to the present and the cultural beliefs and values which underpin them;
- Identify and explain the methodologies and techniques employed in the study of burials;
- Evaluate the range of moral and ethical issues surrounding the archaeological exhumation and study of the dead;
Go to www.gmit.ie/jobs-stimulus to:
- confirm if you are eligible to apply under the Jobs Stimulus initiative
- check if you meet the academic "Entry Requirements" for this level of module
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from Monday, 16th November 2020.
Read the Jobs Stimulus Online Admissions User Guide for step-by-step instructions BEFORE logging on to our online admissions system at the ‘Apply Here’ link below.
Note: On the online admissions system, you will find this module under the Application Type JS- Heritage Studies.
Apply here (Online Admissions System)
Start date: 18/01/2021
End date: 30/04/2021
Vice President International Engagement
Head of Galway International Hotel School
Email: Cáit Noone