Certificate in Blockchain for BusinessApplications for September 2021 are no longer being accepted.
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: One year
Mode of Study: Online delivery
Application Route: Apply direct to GMIT
Entry Requirements: A Level 7 qualification (i.e. ordinary degree or equivalent) under the National Framework of Qualifications, in any discipline.
€1,920 subject to confirmation
- Blockchain is a new, disruptive technology which has the potential to change the way business is conducted in the future.
- The first major incarnation of blockchain is as a cryptocurrency and the technology plays an important role in the development of Fintech.
- The course will impart the knowledge and skills necessary to apply Blockchain techniques and capabilities in business.
- You will learn the decentralized nature of blockchain, the difference between public and private blockchains, smart contracts and decentralized applications.
- The course aims to fill the growing demand for specialist roles examining new and innovative application of blockchain's capabilities,
This course is now open for applications on https://apply.gmit.ie The start date will be 10th January 2022.
Blockchain Technology - download module details here (PDF)
Economics for Business - download module details here (PDF)
Introductory Finance for FinTech - download module details here (PDF)
Economics of Blockchain - download module details here (PDF)
Blockchain Business Models - download module details here (PDF)
Financial Technologies for Blockchain - download module details here (PDF)
- Have knowledge in the following areas:
Blockchain: technology, application, implementation strategy and business models.
Principles of Economics: economics of the firm, industry and markets and impact of technological advancements on industry and the firm
Principles of Finance: personal and business financial management, sources of finance, working capital and investment decisions.
- Identify real-world problems that are well suited to blockchain solutions. Recognise, understand and appreciate capabilities and limitations of blockchain technology.
- Model real-world problems from a blockchain perspective Design and construct a blockchain business model to solve a business problem.
- Identify and select appropriate blockchain techniques in a range of real-world contexts.
- Apply best practice and diagnostic skills in the fields of blockchain and financial technology.
- Communicate technical solutions in writing and orally in a business context.
- Locate and evaluate documentation and information through online research. Assimilate new skills and techniques in technology through online learning.
- Recommend an appropriate course of action in the context of changes in the business environment and capabilities of new technologies such as blockchain.
***Applications for September 2021 are now closed.***
Places will be awarded on academic merit. If all places are not filled by those holding a Level 7 degree, Recognised Prior Learning may be offered to those holding a Level 6 Higher Certificate plus 3 years work experience.
Fully online with recorded lectures, followed by online discussion groups with the lecturers. There may be occasional live lectures in the evenings.
School: School of Business
Department: Department of Enterprise & Technology
Head of Department: Eamon Walsh
Contact person for admissions
Graduate Studies & Professional Development
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
+353 (0)85 805 3691 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday