As an applicant for a position in GMIT (“the Institute”), your personal data will be processed by the Institute for various reasons including to administer your job application, verify the information provided, assess your suitability for the role and communicate a recruitment decision to you.
As part of the transparency principle of the GDPR, you have the right to be fully informed about the use of your personal data in advance of applying for a position in GMIT. This privacy notice outlines the types of personal data we will process, the purposes for which that personal data is required, third parties with whom we’ll share your data, how long your data will be retained by us, etc.
Your personal data is processed in line with data protection legislation and GMIT’s Data Protection Policy.
THE INFORMATION WE PROCESS ABOUT YOU
The types of personal data we process about you include, inter alia:
- Title, name, address, telephone numbers, email address
- Educational & employment history, qualifications, professional body memberships/courses, academic achievements, research & publication lists, referees, notice period, additional information you choose to provide
- Shortlisting notes, interview notes, notes relating to other assessment methods, scores
- Information relating to employment permit
- Information relating to hosting agreement
- Garda vetting disclosure
- Equal opportunities monitoring information
- Image in CCTV
Where relevant, we also process some special category (sensitive) data about you, including:
- Pre-employment medical information
- Disability information (if you require reasonable accommodations)
Data is stored in a variety of places, including on your application record and in relevant HR management systems including Institute email.
HOW WE OBTAIN YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We obtain your personal data directly from you, for example when you submit your job application, send us your CV, complete Garda vetting forms and through interview or other methods of assessment.
We also obtain your personal data indirectly from referees, Institute-nominated medical professionals, and the Garda Vetting Bureau. Information is sought from these third parties only if a job offer is made to you.
PURPOSES FOR WHICH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION ARE USED & LEGAL BASES
For recruitment and selection purposes with a view to entering into a contractual relationship with you.
For compliance with legal obligations, for example:
- to ensure you are eligible to work with vulnerable adults & children
- to ensure you are eligible to work in Ireland
- for the monitoring of our equal opportunity obligations*
For the performance of tasks to which you have given your explicit consent, for example:
- the provision of reasonable accommodations during the recruitment process in respect of your disability*
For the legitimate interests of GMIT and third parties, for example:
- to respond to and defend against legal claims
- for CCTV purposes.
*Please note this data is not used in the recruitment decision-making process.
THIRD PARTIES WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR DATA
Your personal data is held securely by us and access is restricted to those staff members who need the personal data for one of the purposes set out above.
The Institute will share your personal data, where necessary and relevant, with third parties (outside GMIT) in the following circumstances:
Where we contract a third party to process data on our behalf, for example software service providers (e.g. CoreHR), Archiving companies, CCTV companies, etc,
Where the data is required in the normal course of performing recruitment and selection functions e.g.
- Companies or individuals providing recruitment, interview and assessment services
- Referees (assessing suitability)
- An Garda Síochána (vetting)
- Department of Justice & Equality/INIS visa (employment permit/visa)
- Governing Body (for appointment approval - successful candidate only)
- Where required to do so by law (e.g. for auditing purposes).
GMIT will not process your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Successful candidates who accept an offer of employment with GMIT
Your personal data is held permanently by the Institute. Interview recommendation sheets are retained permanently.
Your information is retained for 2 years from the closing date of the competition and is cleared down from the system. Your applicant account is also deleted, save where you have an ongoing application with the Institute. Where this applies, you will be required to register again to use the service.
You have the following rights under data protection law, although your ability to exercise these rights may be subject to certain conditions:
- The right to receive a copy of and/or access the personal data that GMIT holds about you, together with other information about our processing of that data;
- The right to request that any inaccurate data that is held about you is corrected and incomplete data updated;
- The right, in certain circumstances, to request that we erase your personal data;
- The right, in certain circumstances, to request that we no longer process your personal data for particular purposes, or to object to our use of your personal data or the way in which we process it;
- The right, in certain circumstances, to transfer your personal data to another organisation;
- The right to object to automated decision making and/or profiling; and
- The right to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.
In order to exercise any of the above rights please contact us using the contact details set out below.
QUESTIONS & COMPLAINTS
If you are not satisfied with the Institute’s handling of your personal data or believe that the requirements of data protection legislation may not be fully complied with, you should contact the Institute’s Data Protection Office in the first instance. You also have the right to submit a complaint to the Data Protection Commission.
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER (DPO)
Please contact us if you have any questions about the data we hold about you or if you wish to exercise any of your rights:
Data Protection Officer, email@example.com
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)
Tel: +353 (0)91 753161
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We will update this privacy statement from time to time. Please visit this page periodically for updates.
Updated on 28 September 2020