Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Biomedical EngineeringNew, four year honours degree designed to equip graduates with a broad range of biological and engineering skills
Discipline: Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 8
Programme Duration: Four years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
Entry Requirements: Minimum LC grade of O4/H7 in Mathematics, in addition to general entry requirements
CAO Round 1 Points: N/A (New course)
Ireland has over 29,000 people employed in the MedTech sector according to data released by Enterprise Ireland, and Ireland is the second largest employer of MedTech professionals in Europe. As many as 18 of the world’s top 25 medical technology companies have a base in Ireland, and 50% of the 400 MedTech companies based here are indigenous.
The Irish Medtech Association suggests that the MedTech sector needs to urgently develop capabilities and expertise in the areas of innovation, research, development and commercialisation. Graduates of this degree in Biomedical Engineering will have the appropriate skillsets to serve this requirement.
Graduates of this degree will possess the biological and engineering skills to understand the biomechanics, design and treatment of healthcare related issues.
The course is very practical, and features:
- Weekly lab classes
- Workshop practice
- Individual and group projects
- Work placement experience
Over the three years of the programme, each student will receive, on average, 22 hours of tuition per week.
This programme focused on the following key areas:
- Integration of engineering with human physiology
- Biomedical product/systems design and automation
- Validation, Quality and Regulatory Affairs
*** Download our brochure here ***
- Mathematics 1
- Computer Aided Design 1
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Electrical Sciences
- Engineering is Business
- Human Physiology
- Engineering Science
- Applied Biology of the Cell
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Statics and Dynamics
- Project Management and Project
- Mathematics 2 & 3
- Manufacturing Automation 1 & 2
- Human Anatomy & Physiology for Engineers
- Fluid Mechanics
- Mechanics and Properties of Materials
- Medical Image Generation of Anatomical Structures & Functions
- Machine Design
- Sig-Sigma Green Belt
- Biomechanics of Soft Tissues
- Biomechanics of Hard Tissues
- Instrumentation and Control
- Work Placement
- Major Project
- Computer Aided Engineering
- The Engineer in Society
- Intellectual Property and Knowledge Management
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering
- Sig-Sigma Engineering
- Advanced Automation and Control
- Medical Devices for Hard Tissues
- Medical Devices for Soft Tissues
- Tissue Engineering
- Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics
It is envisaged that graduates will be employed in a wide diversity of Biomedical engineering related disciplines both nationally and internationally, namely;
- Medical Device Design
- Surgical Design
- Research and Development Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Quality Engineer
- Product design and product validation
- Automation Engineer
- New Product development
- Process Validation
- Project Management
- Sales Engineer
Some graduates may also become self-employed.
GMIT honours (Level 8) qualifications are recognised worldwide for postgraduate entry.
Furthermore, the Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering and the biomedical research centre, GMedTech has strong research connections with local industries especially the MedTech sector, and some graduates may have an opportunity to register on funded M.Sc., M. Eng. or PhD research programmes, specifically in the areas of biomedical engineering.
Recognition by Professional Bodies
It is envisaged that that the programme itself will be professionally accredited by Engineers Ireland.
Students will be liable for an additional materials fee of €100 per year for certain full time programmes.
This fee is not covered by Granting Authorities.
Material Fees are not applicable to either Erasmus, Part-Time or Full time Non-EU students.
Dr Carine Gachon
Phone: +353 (0)91 742106
E-mail: Carine Gachon