Bachelor of Business with EntrepreneurshipThree year degree in Business with Entrepreneurship, with an opportunity to progress to an Honours degree
Location: Galway - Dublin Road
NFQ Level: 7
Programme Duration: Three years
Mode of Study: Full time
Application Route: Apply through the CAO
CAO Round 1 Points: 273 (2018)
Entrepreneurship is a way of thinking and behaving that can be taught.
This degree is ideal for students who would like to:
- Start their own business
- Revitalise an existing business, possibly a family business
- Work in a progressive organisation that values employees with an entrepreneurial approach to work
This degree will give you a solid grounding in business. It will also give you entrepreneurial knowledge, competence, know-how and skills. You will be supported throughout by staff who share this ethos. You can apply for Year 4 of the BBS (Hons) with Entrepreneurship after completing this programme.
Once students have been taught the initial business fundamentals, there will be a clear focus on Entrepreneurship subjects, including:
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Family Business
- Small Business Start-ups
- Social Enterprise
- New Venture Planning and Creation
- Market Research
- Business Ethics
This programme was developed after consultation with Enterprise Ireland, a panel of entrepreneurs and an extensive review of published research.
Year 1 - Semester 1
Year 1 - Semester 2
Year 1 - Electives
Academic Writing or Language and Culture 1 (French, German, Spanish or Irish)
Year 2 - Semester 3
Year 2 - Semester 4
Intermediate Macroeconomics or Financial Accounting 2 or Language and Culture 2 (French, German, Spanish or Irish)
Year 3 - Semester 5
New Venture Creation, Project Management, Family Business, Financial Management, Market Research
Year 3 - Semester 6
Electives (two of the following)
Graduates should be suitable for employment in a wide range of careers in the private, community, voluntary and public sectors including but not limited to:
- Potentially creating, leading, and directing your own new for-profit or non-profit enterprise or social enterprise
- Contributing to guiding an established private enterprise or non-profit enterprise including family business or social enterprise
- Working in an administration or executive position for a private or non-profit or public sector or social enterprise organisation
- Operating effectively in traditional business roles
- Graduates of the Level 7 programme can apply to be admitted to Year 4 of the BBS (Hons) in Entrepreneurship.
- Graduates of the Level 8 programme may apply for a range of post graduate programmes (including Masters degrees) in a variety of colleges in Ireland and overseas
Prior knowledge of business, accounting, economics or entrepreneurship is not needed to complete this programme.
It is also not necessary that you come from a family business.
All students will complete the same first year where a blend of modules in business fundamentals will be learned. Focus on Entrepreneurship will commence in year 2.
You can find more indepth detail of this course, and all our other courses, at GMIT School of Businees by downloading a copy of our online brochure.
Head of Department of Management
Tel: +353 (0)91 742222
Fax: +353 (0)91 758410
E-mail: Deirdre Lusby